Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lateral Release Complication  (Read 1393 times)

Offline lstowe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Lateral Release Complication
« on: February 12, 2004, 08:39:25 PM »
I had a lateral release done in May 2003.  It has been a nightmare since.  I have been doing therapy since then and am just finishing up water therapy.  My knee is very unstable, moves around, knuckles and has given out.  It swells from time to time and is very stiff.  I cannot go up and down stairs and walk with a limp most of the time.  I have had patella tendenitous and then my muscles gave out.  I could not even raise my leg for several months.  With the therapy and getting the muscles to fire I can now raise it but my knee still bends a little and it is painful to try to straighten out.

Can anyone help tell me what has happened.  Drs won't tell me anything, just say "live with it".  Also, does anyone know what can be done to help.

Thanks
Linda

Offline lstowe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Lateral Release Complication
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 08:39:25 PM »
I had a lateral release done in May 2003.  It has been a nightmare since.  I have been doing therapy since then and am just finishing up water therapy.  My knee is very unstable, moves around, knuckles and has given out.  It swells from time to time and is very stiff.  I cannot go up and down stairs and walk with a limp most of the time.  I have had patella tendenitous and then my muscles gave out.  I could not even raise my leg for several months.  With the therapy and getting the muscles to fire I can now raise it but my knee still bends a little and it is painful to try to straighten out.

Can anyone help tell me what has happened.  Drs won't tell me anything, just say "live with it".  Also, does anyone know what can be done to help.

Thanks
Linda

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Lateral Release Complication
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 10:31:19 PM »
Hey Linda, that sounds pretty frusterating.  I am not sure what could be wrong... you really have to have a doctor tell you that. I can say that I had a LR on my right knee 22 months ago, it has taken this long to heal up and actually start to feel like a real knee joint.  :-/ My knee would buckle under my weight for quite some time..it was due to a weakness in the Hamstring.  I worked very hard at physio for a year, both in the clinic and on my own.  I am now under the care of a chiropractor and between his work with my scar tissue and my work on strengthening the knee is significantly better.   I am hoping this will give you some hope...don't give up, help is out there.  Did you have any complication immediately post op?  I had a hemarthrosis form because of a nick in an artery and it set me back hugely.  HOwever I can now say I am happy with the results and am awaiting an appointment to have the left knee done.  :-/  It did take 22 months to get here though.  Go back to your OS and find out what's going on..if he can't give you an answer get a second, third , fourth...100th opinion if you have to . Atleast get an answer as to why this isn't working for you.  You should not have to face this with no answers to it's cause, if you no what is causing it you will be better able to face it and manage it.
Good luck
HUGS
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 10:31:19 PM »
Hey Linda, that sounds pretty frusterating.  I am not sure what could be wrong... you really have to have a doctor tell you that. I can say that I had a LR on my right knee 22 months ago, it has taken this long to heal up and actually start to feel like a real knee joint.  :-/ My knee would buckle under my weight for quite some time..it was due to a weakness in the Hamstring.  I worked very hard at physio for a year, both in the clinic and on my own.  I am now under the care of a chiropractor and between his work with my scar tissue and my work on strengthening the knee is significantly better.   I am hoping this will give you some hope...don't give up, help is out there.  Did you have any complication immediately post op?  I had a hemarthrosis form because of a nick in an artery and it set me back hugely.  HOwever I can now say I am happy with the results and am awaiting an appointment to have the left knee done.  :-/  It did take 22 months to get here though.  Go back to your OS and find out what's going on..if he can't give you an answer get a second, third , fourth...100th opinion if you have to . Atleast get an answer as to why this isn't working for you.  You should not have to face this with no answers to it's cause, if you no what is causing it you will be better able to face it and manage it.
Good luck
HUGS
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 11:27:49 PM »
Hi Linda

I have had 2 lateral releases done one in Sept. 2001 and one in March of 2002 and both failed. As soon as I started therapy my knee started doing the same thing it did pre-op which was grindind, subluxing and on 2 occasions at PT completed dislocated!

There are some people on the board who have had very good results with Lateral Releases but I have not and am not a big fan of them.

I am with Linds as I don't know what could be going on with your knee but I would definitly keep going to the doctor until I got some answers!!

Good luck
Love,Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 11:27:49 PM »
Hi Linda

I have had 2 lateral releases done one in Sept. 2001 and one in March of 2002 and both failed. As soon as I started therapy my knee started doing the same thing it did pre-op which was grindind, subluxing and on 2 occasions at PT completed dislocated!

There are some people on the board who have had very good results with Lateral Releases but I have not and am not a big fan of them.

I am with Linds as I don't know what could be going on with your knee but I would definitly keep going to the doctor until I got some answers!!

Good luck
Love,Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline lstowe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 08:31:17 PM »
I am interested in what a chiro can do?  Please give me more info.  I had thought about this.  

Thanks
Linda

Offline lstowe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 08:31:17 PM »
I am interested in what a chiro can do?  Please give me more info.  I had thought about this.  

Thanks
Linda

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2004, 09:05:05 PM »
I initially saw a chiropractor as I had alot of back pain and hip pain which developed post op the lateral release.  I had alot of problems, like My chiropractor said I was a bit of a train wreck. However, alot of my initial problems with my spine and such have been brought under control. He is now using active release therapy to treat the scar tissue that I have due to the surgery and post op complications.  For you, it's important I feel to learn why it is that the LR hasn't worked for you. If it hasn't solved the tracking problems then you need to figure out what they can do about this. For me a big % of the problem was the scar tissue, so the treatment makes a big diff for me.  I feel that seeing a chiropractor is also preventitive, as we have bodies that don't work as they should, all the compensating we do tends to cause other problems. My chiropractor can atleast prevent more chronic problems by keeping everything else in working order.
Good luck, hope that helped
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 09:05:05 PM »
I initially saw a chiropractor as I had alot of back pain and hip pain which developed post op the lateral release.  I had alot of problems, like My chiropractor said I was a bit of a train wreck. However, alot of my initial problems with my spine and such have been brought under control. He is now using active release therapy to treat the scar tissue that I have due to the surgery and post op complications.  For you, it's important I feel to learn why it is that the LR hasn't worked for you. If it hasn't solved the tracking problems then you need to figure out what they can do about this. For me a big % of the problem was the scar tissue, so the treatment makes a big diff for me.  I feel that seeing a chiropractor is also preventitive, as we have bodies that don't work as they should, all the compensating we do tends to cause other problems. My chiropractor can atleast prevent more chronic problems by keeping everything else in working order.
Good luck, hope that helped
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

support