Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL Reconstruction second time - help  (Read 807 times)

Offline Westwell86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL Reconstruction second time - help
« on: March 09, 2015, 07:37:49 PM »
Hi

Operation to repair acl using patella tendon done on 5th jan this year (9 weeks approx). Seems to having been going ok up to now. Had crunching feeling on left hand side when bending or straightening but PT thinks it's nothing to worry about.  My concern I have at the moment is that I've done a lot of walking this weekend. My whole leg has swollen from the knee down and now have pain and the knee feels quite weak. I'm worried because I've previously had a failed acl repair from hamstring graft. Has anyone been in a similar situation or could offer me some advice. Thanks in advance

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Re: ACL Reconstruction second time - help
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 10:16:11 AM »
Hi there,

That sounds quite similar to the experiences I had 9 weeks after my 2nd ACL surgery when I went back to work - being on my feet most of the day in these early stages was really unpleasant and I wish I had taken more time off. My knee was also swollen and painful at this point which as you know is rather alarming. However, I am now 13 months out of surgery and everything is going fine - my knee is not the same and I havent had the same results that I got after my first op but I exercise every day and go to work and university no problem at all.
My advice to you would be to really take the rest of your rehab slowly - in my experience, my body did just not  respond to the 2nd operation and subsequent rehab the way it did to the 1st one (I am a very fit 21 year old male).
Its very frustrating to see yourself struggling to make progress at the rate you are "expected" to. I dont know your exact situation of course but all I would say is to not worry, get checked out by your physio and continue your rehab - but don't punish yourself! If recovering from the first reconstruction is a marathon, then recovering from a second (or third) is an ultramarathon :)

Ross
June 2012 - ACL rupture and lateral meniscus tear

December 2012 - ACL recon (hamstring autograft) and meniscus trim

October 2013 - Retore ACL and tore medial meniscus :(!

January 2014 - Revision ACL recon (hamstring)