Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: CryoCuff on the NHS?  (Read 755 times)

Offline kneehab

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
CryoCuff on the NHS?
« on: March 05, 2015, 08:54:21 AM »
Hi all,

I will soon be going in for my op and have been advised that a CryoCuff will hugely benefit recovery.
Does anyone know if it is standard practise for the NHS to supply these free of charge?
Or someone has mentioned previously that you only receive the cuff but not the cooler?

Don't want to waste money on buying one if they are provided by the NHS. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
Re: CryoCuff on the NHS?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:42:47 AM »
I don't recall any posters saying they got one provided.  Ask your consultant but I expect you'll need to buy one.  You could see if anyone can sell / lend you a second hand one.  You can always sell it on when finished

What surgery are you having?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
Re: CryoCuff on the NHS?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 10:34:24 PM »
If you go privately, you may be provided with a cryo cuff and it will be in your bill. You may use one whilst in the NHS hospital, however it is not something the NHS provide you with to take home. Occasionally you may get a cuff that you put into the freezer but not the cryo cuff with cooler unit.
I bought a second hand one from a local kneegeek, and used it through two ops and wouldn't consider selling it now.

I would recommend buying one if you need to use one post op, you can often sell it on.

support