Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any one have a stress fracture after OATS?  (Read 2797 times)

Offline WeenietheWarriorPrinces

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
Any one have a stress fracture after OATS?
« on: March 02, 2015, 01:44:05 AM »
I had a microfracture that failed in June 2014. I had an OATS proceedure (autograft) in November 2014. I have been on crutches since June. I was close to getting off crutches and started having pain in my ankle. I have impingement of the ankle and disuse osteopenia. I have had increase pain and now the dr thinks I may have a stress fracture in my ankle. He has ordered more scans and we are waiting for approval. Has anyone experienced stress fractures resulting from trying to bear weight after being on crutches so long? What was your recovery like? Cast? Boot? Total non weightbearing longer? PT? Thanks for any input! I feel like I am on a rollercoaster that has been set on continuous loop and the operator went home! Ughhh I just want to be able to walk with no pain again!
Weenie the Warrior Princess
Left knee:
6/2012 Arthroscope w/ debridment, and plica removal
3/2013 Microfracture of MFC & patella and lateral release
6/2014 Microfracture MFC (same spot as last time, was damaged in a car accident)(infection week after & ultimately a failed surgery)
11/2014 OATS(autograft) MFC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Any one have a stress fracture after OATS?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 03:09:06 AM »
Update: thankfully I do not have a stress fracture. I have two bones in my ankle that are connected(they should have a gap between them). Since this has never bothered me before he thinks it is just irritated from the weight bearing process since I have been non-weightbearing for so long. I have a little boot for a few weeks to calm it down.
Weenie
Left knee:
6/2014 Microfracture MFC (same spot as last time, was damaged in a car accident)(infection week after & ultimately a failed surgery)

Offline hopalong2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 11:11:10 PM »
Weenie, I'm relieved for you that you don't have something else broken!  You've had too much go wrong already.  Just as a point of reference, I'm 8 months post OATS (allograft).  Like you, I had a lot of inactivity before that surgery because of a failed microfracture the year before.  With that much atrophy and disuse, recovery is SLOW.  At this stage, I am walking, even on inclines, without pain, and can use an exercise bike with the same resistance as preop.  Stairs are still challenging, particular descending.  I'm working hard at fuller recovery and am pleased with my progress, but I'm nowhere near doing squats and lunges and other markers of readiness to return to sports.

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 02:01:40 AM »
Thanks Hopalong2!!! I'm taking this one day at a time. I hate slow BUT I'm moving forward so I'll be grateful for that! At least I have time to stop and smell the roses!!! (Even if it means planting them first) My dr said healing can take two years!
Left knee: