Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Plica Removal Surgery  (Read 722 times)

Offline jimturn1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Plica Removal Surgery
« on: February 28, 2015, 11:35:27 AM »
It has been just about a month since I had plica removal surgery, mu right kne would swell to the point that I was unable to walk on it.  Now after one month I still have swelling but not to the point of pre surgery, how long can expect the swelling to last and at what point should I return to the surgeon for another look?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Plica Removal Surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 11:57:13 AM »
Knees can take a number of months to recover from the trauma of arthroscopy, indeed you may always have some degree of swelling especially around the portals  :) .  Are you using an ice pack (15 mins wrapped in a tea towel), especially after exercise and keeping it elevated when you can (foot off floor). Also continue to do ankle pumps and other exercises that can help with swelling. Has your physiotherapist given you any advice, about this or massaging the knee?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline jimturn1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 03:17:23 PM »
I was given no exercises to perform or any further advice except to follow up with the surgeon if after a few months swelling has not subsided. I feel more restriction in movement more than anything with no pain at all. 

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 07:14:18 PM »
I don't know what country you are in, but it might be worth paying for some private physiotherapy to help your knee get back to its pre op strength

If it's still bad in a couple of months, or if it gets worse, then perhaps see the surgeon. Not very much he will probably be able to do if the swelling is mild and tends to happen after activity of prolonged use. Just one of those things if the joint is healthy
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 04:15:27 PM »
Hi There,

I had my medial plica removed and fat pad trimmed in November 2009 and it took a while for the actual swelling to subside. Vickster has already pointed out that you are always going to have some slight swelling around the portals, regular PT post op will be benefit your knee recovery that should hopefully speed up your recovery period.

Good luck with your recovery, it was 18 months post op before my right knee felt ok again and then managed to reinjure it again!

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support