Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Long term experience after knee reconstruction and menisci tears  (Read 726 times)

Offline fabienzan

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Hi,

I am 43 years old and I had a knee reco and menisci tears left in situ at time of the operation. I am interested to know the experience of people who 10 - 20 years ago had the same operation (knee reco with menisci tears (menisectomy or not)).
I am interested to know their quality of life, what level of activity they kept doing , did they develop OA (how it is affecting their life).
Are they taking any medication ? ... Any relevant comment welcome.
Knee reco seems to be a well mastered operation but the longer term consequence are more important to em specially as I don't consider that I will be old in my early 50s to be potentially crippled by OA

Cheers

Offline Sezzy B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Long term experience after knee reconstruction and menisci tears
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:03:46 AM »
Hi,
I had knee surgery the first time about 25 years ago and when I recently had scans on my knee after another torn ACL in the same knee there were no signs of arthritis...
Hope that helps a bit?
 :)
Sez

ACL op R. knee 02/90 ACL op L. Knee 04/06
Torn ACL 07/14
I must stop skiing!!

Offline Osiris

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Long term experience after knee reconstruction and menisci tears
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 02:11:28 AM »
There are two long time friends of mine who had torn ACL's quite a while ago.  All three of us have led very active lives and are 55 years old.

The first blew out the ACL of his left knee playing soccer in 1980.  The torn ligament was repaired by surgery at the time.  Seven years ago the replacement ligament tore, and it was decided to leave it that way rather than tighten up the joint which would accelerate degeneration of the meniscus in the opinion of the surgeon.  I mentioned this person in a post made in your other thread.  He played soccer at a high amateur level for about 7 or 8 years after the initial surgery in 1980.  He remained active after that time, and still plays tennis - he was in his club senior men's singles final yesterday.  He claims to have some knee pain, and we compare notes on how to deal with it.  He is very interested in the physio I found.

There is another friend of mine who blew out one or both knees in the 1980's playing soccer.  When he goes downhill skiing, he wears stabilizing braces on both knees - not sure of the brand.  He remains fit and trim, generally working out in the gym these days rather than playing organized sports.  He mentioned when he last had an x-ray on his knees 5 years ago, the doctor was pleased there was little concern about OA - lots of cartilage remaining.

I have spent an increased amount of time on the golf course over the past 3 years.  The recent problems I've had in my left knee are likely the end result of insufficient internal rotation of my hips - when the hips fail to turn, the stress gets transferred and my left knee was the main recipient.  With the recent physio sessions I mentioned in your other thread, my hip rotation is much improved, and I expect to start golfing again in one week's time.  In my case there has been no issue with ligaments or tendons, just wear and tear from an active life that's included soccer, self-defense of various kinds, a couple of marathons, and a return to golf in the past 8 years (which I played a lot as a teen), along with a lot of workouts to support the other activities.  My physio expects I can build up to playing 18 holes of golf with no issues over the course of this spring and summer - and so do I.

support