Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patella worries!  (Read 649 times)

Offline Janner

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Patella worries!
« on: February 23, 2015, 11:46:46 PM »
Hi,
I'm new to all of this so pls excuse any lack of knowledge!
I broke my patella after slipping on ice and falling, I managed to sprain my ankle and cut my knee and foot pretty badly too, this was 4weeks ago. Went a+e to be told I have a non displaced patella fracture right across the middle with a gap. I was in a cast for 4wks, was told to weight bare but found this really difficult due to the ankle. Had pretty much consistent pain managed by pain killers. Had my cast off few days ago and now in a non hinged leg brace. I'm quite shocked by how weak my leg is now, dr asked me to do a straight leg raise but I physically couldn't, and neither could I bend my knee much, still have a lot of swelling and some pain too.. Is this normal?! Due to start physio tomorrow! And help and advice would be great 😊 thanks.

Offline Sarahjaye

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Patella worries!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 01:04:47 PM »
Hi! I'm sorry to hear about your injury, I cracked my patella about 6 weeks ago. I only had a cast on for 10 days but I can relate to the muscle wasting that happens with a cast. Your quad and hamstring muscles need to be strengthened, try some static quad and hamstring flexes to start. My PT told me that swelling can limit your range of motion and might be why you are finding it hard to bend your knee. You might also have some scar tissue which would make bending painful too. Therapy will help a lot as long as you stick with it and do the exercises they give you regularly. Best of luck on the road to recovery!