Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ganglion Cyst - remove it or aspirate it (again)?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline ttinok

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ganglion Cyst - remove it or aspirate it (again)?
« on: February 17, 2015, 05:34:50 PM »
Hello - I am new to this board & to knee issues in general, but hoping to find some advice on what to do next.  Thanks in advance!

I have had on again, off again knee discomfort for about a year due to a medial ganglion cyst that sits under the MCL.  On bad days, I cannot squat down or stand to have that knee bent past 90 degrees for more than a few seconds.  With heat and rest, it feels pretty good.  I am still very active & work full-time at a job that has me constantly standing/walking w/ little/no problems. 

The mass got quite large so about a month I had an MRI.  The doc said my 2 options were to cut it out or try aspirating it, which only works about half of the time.  Not wanting surgery, I had it aspirated, kept it wrapped for a week & after about 2 weeks it was noticeably smaller & felt pretty good.

Now it's coming back & I'm noticing different pains like when it's straight & I flex my quad muscles.  I reached for something in my car recently & felt a sharp/squeeze in that area.  The mass feels much smaller than it was before, so I'm not sure aspirating again will do any good.

Anyone have experience with ganglion cyst removal?  I watched a youtube video that made the surgery look fairly simple (though the incision was huge!), but I have no idea what recovery is like and, of course, the doc may have to do more work once he can get a scope inside & find the source.  The MRI did not indicate a meniscus tear & I cannot remember ever really 'injuring' the knee so surgery seems like overkill for something that is manageable...

Toni

Offline ttinok

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Ganglion Cyst - remove it or aspirate it (again)?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 05:31:13 AM »
Update - I decided surgery was the best option for me.  I do not like telling my 3 year old daughter I cannot play & after a 10 hour work day it is hard to straighten or bend my knee all the way.  My scope/open procedure is set for 4/23.  Any one who has had a similar procedure, please give me some info on what to expect...

Thanks, Toni

Offline ttinok

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 11:38:10 PM »
Update (if anyone cares) - I am 4 days post op & feeling pretty lousy.  I expected to be able to put pressure on it & be done w/ the crutches as I am scheduled back to work on Wed.  Doc gave the best & worst case scenarios before surgery.  It did not go badly (MCL damage from the ganglion or from the removal process and 3mo recovery time), but the cyst was much larger than expected.  It reached all the way to the ACL & required a lot of cutting, moving of the ligaments & cauterizing at the source.  The interesting part was there was no meniscus damage & I have a slanted knee cap that created an unfriendly rubbing environment.

If anyone has any advice on getting thru the next week I'd appreciate it.  I am trying to be a good patient & ice, rest, meds...  Guess it does not help that hubby was rushed to the ER the night of my surgery & is scheduled to have his gall bladder removed in the morning...so I am feeling the added pressure of being able to take care of him & the kid & stuff around the house.

Offline jferg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 11:06:19 PM »
What a bummer to be so soon post op and have to loose your help.
In my experience the first week after arthoscopy can be a bummer but the recovery after that speeds up exponentially.

Sending healing thoughts to you and your hubby!
2013 - Traumatic/acute dislocation of patella, MPFL tear, avulsion fracture of patella. -open MPFL repair
2014 - OrthoVisc and steroid injections
2014 - Athroscopic chondroplasty, discovered OCD defect on trochlea of femur.
2015 - DeNovo graft to patella and trochlea sites.

support