Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: help I'm in pain  (Read 1421 times)

Offline pres776

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
help I'm in pain
« on: February 12, 2004, 12:21:49 AM »
I'm really in pain with my R knee. It's been some time now and I have given up golf, walking and bacome a couch pot. Last year I was to have arto for a torn cart and a torn lig but something came up and had to cancel.
Now I go tom another Dr as I relocated from NY to FL and he takes an xray (does not read the MRI report) and say's "when do you want your new knee). Now I'm totally flipping out and ask him what the heck is he talking about. He says that the Arthritist is so bad that I need a new knee. He also says that I'm to young (51) and that I hould wait a while, easy for him to say he is not in pain and has checked out on physical activities. He gives me a meds, and a pain killer (which really sends me to the moon) and tells me to come back in a month. Still no difference. I'm thinking of getting a second opinion, Any thoughts from anyone will help.
Ed.
"the best is yet to come"

Offline pres776

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
help I'm in pain
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 12:21:49 AM »
I'm really in pain with my R knee. It's been some time now and I have given up golf, walking and bacome a couch pot. Last year I was to have arto for a torn cart and a torn lig but something came up and had to cancel.
Now I go tom another Dr as I relocated from NY to FL and he takes an xray (does not read the MRI report) and say's "when do you want your new knee). Now I'm totally flipping out and ask him what the heck is he talking about. He says that the Arthritist is so bad that I need a new knee. He also says that I'm to young (51) and that I hould wait a while, easy for him to say he is not in pain and has checked out on physical activities. He gives me a meds, and a pain killer (which really sends me to the moon) and tells me to come back in a month. Still no difference. I'm thinking of getting a second opinion, Any thoughts from anyone will help.
Ed.
"the best is yet to come"

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: help I'm in pain
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 01:53:48 AM »
Get a second opinion, and maybe a third or fourth just for good measure. Some doctors don't like to replace knees on "younger" patients but more and more are now of the opinion that making a person live in pain at a relatively young age is foolish.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 01:53:48 AM »
Get a second opinion, and maybe a third or fourth just for good measure. Some doctors don't like to replace knees on "younger" patients but more and more are now of the opinion that making a person live in pain at a relatively young age is foolish.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 04:11:22 AM »
It can never hurt to get as many opinions as you can muster. When considering somehting like a knee replacement it's probably a very good idea.
Luck and HUGS
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 04:11:22 AM »
It can never hurt to get as many opinions as you can muster. When considering somehting like a knee replacement it's probably a very good idea.
Luck and HUGS
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 07:28:36 PM »
 Always get more opinions if you are unsure of what you were told. At 42 I was told I was too young for total knee and have gone a different route, but I recently read about a ceramic knee replacement which they think lasts longer than 20 years and is relatively inexpensive for insurance companies.  At 51, I say you should have Quality of life and have your knee replaced so you can go forward with your life and get back on the golf course or whatever you enjoy. I wish I had a knee replacement , if I had I would be well beyond what my physical status is today and if I had to have it redone at 60 , so what, at least the last year and half of my life would not have been like they have been, unable to do the things a 42 yr old does with his family not to mention the activities/sports that I played.
Why live in pain with a poor quality of life if you can improve your life and get back to a pian free life.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

Offline neil

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 07:28:36 PM »
 Always get more opinions if you are unsure of what you were told. At 42 I was told I was too young for total knee and have gone a different route, but I recently read about a ceramic knee replacement which they think lasts longer than 20 years and is relatively inexpensive for insurance companies.  At 51, I say you should have Quality of life and have your knee replaced so you can go forward with your life and get back on the golf course or whatever you enjoy. I wish I had a knee replacement , if I had I would be well beyond what my physical status is today and if I had to have it redone at 60 , so what, at least the last year and half of my life would not have been like they have been, unable to do the things a 42 yr old does with his family not to mention the activities/sports that I played.
Why live in pain with a poor quality of life if you can improve your life and get back to a pian free life.
9-13-02 - present, 4 surgeries to right knee. quad severed, piece of femoral condyle cut off, shaving of patella. had cartilage implant 9-22-03, fluid drain, cultures & manipulation10-21-03

support