Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: New member. Flap tear cartilage advice  (Read 833 times)

Offline Jc123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New member. Flap tear cartilage advice
« on: February 16, 2015, 06:39:44 PM »
Hello all new member here. Ive been having a very stiff knee for the past 3 weeks or so. I went for an MRI and it looks like i have a small flap tear behind my knee cap. Here is the MRI report.
Flap tear of patellar cartilage along the lateral patellar facet with a small area of delamination seen with reference to the lateral patellar cartilage and adjacent dorsal margin of the lateral patellar facet.

No other irregularities. Meniscus is intact.
I dont really have much pain going up and down stairs which appears to be the symptoms of this from reading around. But the knee gets stiff when i stand up. I can walk fine. Pain only happens when i exert alot of force on it when say im lifting weights..
I went to an ortho and he gave me a lost of things to possibly do.. He said PT would be the first thing to do to see if it gets better since its not painful. Then a cleanup. But he also said the cleanup would also have a microfracture procedure that from what ive read online looks like a pretty long recovery time which i can not afford.. Im 28 by the way so im not really sure if this is something i should do or maybe get a second opinion at. Has anyone had this type of injury before? Any adivce? Thanks!

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
Re: New member. Flap tear cartilage advice
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 08:28:47 PM »
If you've no pain or disability, give physio ago. Ask about a hyaluronic acid injection to help with the stiffness and any inflammation, this lubricates the joint

Avoid anything that aggravates it too, weights, squats, lunges. Stick to low impact, swimming, cycling (assuming that isn't pain causing)

Microfracture usually comes with 6 weeks on crutches, possibly a brace, restrictions on driving etc and the success rate on the patella isn't too high, probably 50/50.  There are other routes to fix holes to exposed bone but these are expensive, longer in recovery, and not assured

Sounds like your surgeon has laid out the options, so not sure what a second opinion would achieve

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Jc123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: New member. Flap tear cartilage advice
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:01:53 PM »
Thanks for the advice!

I am going to try the Physio and see how that works. Crutches for 6 weeks with a 50:50 chance sthe stiffness goes away doesnt sound like a risk worth the reward. If physio doesnt work i guess i can get the cleanup to remove the tear thats proabably causing the stiffness..

support