Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Infrapatellar fat pad impingement? Surgery?  (Read 3521 times)

Offline nmacseven50

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 17
Infrapatellar fat pad impingement? Surgery?
« on: February 13, 2015, 06:16:52 AM »
Hello there. I am a 19 year old basketball player. As we speak I am rehabbing from a patellar tendon rupture + surgery. Recently I have had an onset of pain on the opposite knee. I had an MRI and it came out to be a fat pad impingement. Infrapateller to be exact. It causes some pain and a lot of discomfort and swelling. I am wondering if I should go ahead and have the surgery for it before returning to the basketball court since I am out as we speak anyways. Does the surgery work? Is it worth it? What exactly is done during surgery? I'm not optimistic because of the surgery itself. Surgery doesn't bother me and Patella reconstruction is way worse. I just am unsure if it worth it for one, and if It would even help at all.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Infrapatellar fat pad impingement? Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 03:46:10 PM »
Hi There,

I was diagnosed with fat pad impingement back in 2009 after having had an MRI scan done on my right knee and the only problem that was spotted was inflammation and fluid around the fat pad.

I was given all the conservative treatments first of PT, ultrasound therapy and a cortisone injection that did not make any difference so had to have an exploratory scope done to see why I was feeling pain and catching inside my right knee.

I did not have swelling before scope#1 this came after my scope and think it normal to have some swelling around the portal regions but if it continues to be painful and swelling increases then there is  something up with the knee. It's a sign that the knee is not quite happy if you are getting pain and swelling around the bottom of the kneecap.

Everyone’s knee reacts differently to surgical procedures and the only reasons why 2 scopes have failed for me so far is because I more prone to excessive scarring inside my right knee. If you did not mind your last knee surgery and are in pain and discomfort go ahead and have the surgery.

You are still young so your recovery period will be fairly swift as long as you keep on top of your PT post op. You should be able to get a few more years playing basketball at a competitive level while in you early to mid 20s even after having had 2 scopes done if you do decide to have your fat pad sorted out.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline pelin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Infrapatellar fat pad impingement? Surgery?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 04:06:38 PM »
Hi Nick,

What happened with your fat pad impingement afterwards? Is this healed 100% now?

Thanks.

Pelin

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi There,

I was diagnosed with fat pad impingement back in 2009 after having had an MRI scan done on my right knee and the only problem that was spotted was inflammation and fluid around the fat pad.

I was given all the conservative treatments first of PT, ultrasound therapy and a cortisone injection that did not make any difference so had to have an exploratory scope done to see why I was feeling pain and catching inside my right knee.

I did not have swelling before scope#1 this came after my scope and think it normal to have some swelling around the portal regions but if it continues to be painful and swelling increases then there is  something up with the knee. It's a sign that the knee is not quite happy if you are getting pain and swelling around the bottom of the kneecap.

Everyone’s knee reacts differently to surgical procedures and the only reasons why 2 scopes have failed for me so far is because I more prone to excessive scarring inside my right knee. If you did not mind your last knee surgery and are in pain and discomfort go ahead and have the surgery.

You are still young so your recovery period will be fairly swift as long as you keep on top of your PT post op. You should be able to get a few more years playing basketball at a competitive level while in you early to mid 20s even after having had 2 scopes done if you do decide to have your fat pad sorted out.

[email protected]