Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Ski Bindings  (Read 628 times)

Offline archman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Ski Bindings
« on: February 03, 2015, 01:49:16 AM »
I am having my 2nd knee ACL reconstruction and never want to go through this again.  I was thinking that as a present to myself I will buy new skis with Knee bindings.  Are these bindings a gimick or can they really help prevent knee injuries?

http://www.kneebinding.com/KB-Product.aspx

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Knee Ski Bindings
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 06:55:08 AM »
Been around for years now but still not become a standard, nor are they well known while ACL injuries are 2 a penny. So why I ask myself? They are heavy, expensive and non-standard; who will set them and who will maintain them?

Getting your bindings correctly set and serviced by a reputable shop/technician would be a good place to start. Work on your fitness and build up protection by making the muscles around your knee stronger as well as the rest of your body. Good core strength and stability ill help maintain balance and reduce the tiredness at the end of the day.

Get some lessons and improve your skills and stance.

Don't crank up your bindings and be honest with yourself about your ability. If you want to try new things get lessons and get fit so that your skills and body are able to match your ambitions.

I've had 5 ACL replacements and am still skiing I use Nordica skis and Nordica bindings on my main skis and Atomic/Atomic on my second pair (slalom). Skiing does not bust your ACL, it is poor technique and trying to do things that you don't have the skill set or fitness for if it occurs on piste. My last snapped ACL was a slip on black ice outside my house on my way to go skiing! s**t happens there is no magic bullet that will prevent the injury if you are jibbing it through the park without the skills to perform the tricks properly. Similarly when you are skiing at high speed down an empty piste and hit a rise in flat light, the yard sale that may follow means you were outside your abilities.

Sue - from a sunny but icy cold Austria! Schi Heil ;-)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee