Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Risk of living with a torn ACL?  (Read 863 times)

Offline archman

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Risk of living with a torn ACL?
« on: February 02, 2015, 05:12:17 PM »
Hello all.  I was told by Dr. at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC that I have a full tear of my ACL.  I probably did most of the damage in 2009 (ski accident) then slowly over time the rest of the ACL wore away.  In 2009 the Dr. went in to do an ACL repair but decided to not perform the surgery since he saw much of the ACL in tact.  I had a false positive from MRI at the time.

Recently the Dr. determined its now fully torn without ordering another MRI.  I can function fairly well. For example I can run but have reduced my running.  I can ski on intermediate terrain with a knee brace.  I have concluded that its best to get the ACL reconstructed to prevent further damage leading to arthritis and then perhaps a knee replacement.  I am an active 49 year old male.  I repaired my left ACL 15 years ago and it is very stable.  The question I have is whether my conclusion is correct.  Will living with torn ACL lead to further issues down the road?  My research seems to conclude that left untreated and staying active I could be in for more damage over time. 

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Risk of living with a torn ACL?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 07:12:32 PM »
Archman  ~ the decision to reconstruct the ACL or not is up to you & how active you intend to remain. I was 67 when I did all the damage to my knee. I had no repairs & within a month of the injury was back to riding my horse. I stopped riding 2 years ago because I felt I no longer had the agility I needed.

Now I have all sorts of back problems that leave me with left leg pain. That implies I'm putting all the pressure on my right leg, the knee of which is missing its ACL. I've been like this for a year now & still the right knee is holding up just fine.

The bottom line...reconstruction is a surgery one can opt for or against. You still have a choice but when this all happened 10 years ago my orthopedic surgeon informed me that nobody of my age had ACLr. I took his word for it & made the best of things.

Today I would imagine 49 is still a very operable age, if you so choose. Wishing you well.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Risk of living with a torn ACL?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 10:26:01 AM »
If you intend to remain active I would recommend getting the ACL repaired.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

support