Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: surgery tomorrow--PANIC!!!  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Cindy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
surgery tomorrow--PANIC!!!
« on: February 11, 2004, 06:10:54 PM »
Hello all.  I'm fairly new to this forum--I've posted a few times but thats it.
I'm having my 1st arthroscopic surgery/debridement tomorrow morning and I'm a nervous wreck!!!! I'm not so much worried about the actual surgery or even the discomfort afterwards (I figure I've lived with pain this long--whats a few more days)--but I'm extremely nervous about being put to sleep!!!
I've been put to sleep before but in emergency situations where I had no time to stress over it--this time I've had over a month to stress about it and I'm going crazy.
Any words of advice from you pro's??? Anything to help ease my mind??

Thanks,
Cindy

Offline Cindy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
surgery tomorrow--PANIC!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 06:10:54 PM »
Hello all.  I'm fairly new to this forum--I've posted a few times but thats it.
I'm having my 1st arthroscopic surgery/debridement tomorrow morning and I'm a nervous wreck!!!! I'm not so much worried about the actual surgery or even the discomfort afterwards (I figure I've lived with pain this long--whats a few more days)--but I'm extremely nervous about being put to sleep!!!
I've been put to sleep before but in emergency situations where I had no time to stress over it--this time I've had over a month to stress about it and I'm going crazy.
Any words of advice from you pro's??? Anything to help ease my mind??

Thanks,
Cindy

Offline dawnb1968

• Regular Poster
  • I'm not crazy. Sometimes you just gotta vent !
Re: surgery tomorrow--PANIC!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 07:24:25 PM »
Hi Cindy,

I've had two knee surgeries in the last couple of months, the first in Dec a partial meniscectomy/ chondroplasty /debridement I was given a spinal with just a sedative in my iv which in turn had me sleep through the procedure. My second surgery, acl reconstruction, 9 days ago. I again had the spinal with sedative in my iv, but I was awake during the procedure.
I myself prefer the spinal rather than the general, but everyone is different and one may work better for them than the other. Your OS may just have a preference on which he uses. Before your surgery you will get the opportunity to speak with the anthesiologist, ask what your options are, pros and cons of each.
Good luck tomorrow ! Let us know how you are doing.

Dawn
left knee : partial meniscectomy, chondroplasty 12/03 , ACL recon 2/04 ,osteochondral defect lateral femoral condyle, medial joint space narrowing, chondromalacia grade II patello-femoral joint

Offline dawnb1968

• Regular Poster
  • I'm not crazy. Sometimes you just gotta vent !
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 07:24:25 PM »
Hi Cindy,

I've had two knee surgeries in the last couple of months, the first in Dec a partial meniscectomy/ chondroplasty /debridement I was given a spinal with just a sedative in my iv which in turn had me sleep through the procedure. My second surgery, acl reconstruction, 9 days ago. I again had the spinal with sedative in my iv, but I was awake during the procedure.
I myself prefer the spinal rather than the general, but everyone is different and one may work better for them than the other. Your OS may just have a preference on which he uses. Before your surgery you will get the opportunity to speak with the anthesiologist, ask what your options are, pros and cons of each.
Good luck tomorrow ! Let us know how you are doing.

Dawn
left knee : partial meniscectomy, chondroplasty 12/03 , ACL recon 2/04 ,osteochondral defect lateral femoral condyle, medial joint space narrowing, chondromalacia grade II patello-femoral joint

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 08:31:15 PM »
Hi Cindy,

Getting a general anesthetic for an elective procedure is infinitely safer than getting one under emergency conditions  :)

Ask your anesthesiologist what options are available for you (spinal, sedation, general, etc.)  They will tell you what the safest options are for you depending on your overall health and what type of surgery you are having.  Remember, these people do this for a living, so don't worry about asking questions and relaying concerns. ;)

Tell the anesthesiologist right up front that you are nervous.  Most of the time, they premedicate (give some relaxing drugs) prior to going to the OR anyway, but may give these to you a little sooner if they know that you're stressing out!

Most of all, remember that it's OK to be a little stressed out.  After all, you have to totally relinquish control of your body to people that you don't know and trust them to keep you safe. :P  I work in the OR with people under anesthesia all the time and work with and know and infinitely trust the anesthesiologist who put me under for my surgery, and I still was nervous.  It's OK to be nervous.  

That said, pamper yourself a bit tonight.  Relax, splurge on your favorite ice cream, whatever makes you happy.  You deserve it and it might just make you feel a little better. ;D

Good luck tomorrow,
Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 08:31:15 PM »
Hi Cindy,

Getting a general anesthetic for an elective procedure is infinitely safer than getting one under emergency conditions  :)

Ask your anesthesiologist what options are available for you (spinal, sedation, general, etc.)  They will tell you what the safest options are for you depending on your overall health and what type of surgery you are having.  Remember, these people do this for a living, so don't worry about asking questions and relaying concerns. ;)

Tell the anesthesiologist right up front that you are nervous.  Most of the time, they premedicate (give some relaxing drugs) prior to going to the OR anyway, but may give these to you a little sooner if they know that you're stressing out!

Most of all, remember that it's OK to be a little stressed out.  After all, you have to totally relinquish control of your body to people that you don't know and trust them to keep you safe. :P  I work in the OR with people under anesthesia all the time and work with and know and infinitely trust the anesthesiologist who put me under for my surgery, and I still was nervous.  It's OK to be nervous.  

That said, pamper yourself a bit tonight.  Relax, splurge on your favorite ice cream, whatever makes you happy.  You deserve it and it might just make you feel a little better. ;D

Good luck tomorrow,
Danielle
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 08:33:18 PM »
Hey Cindy, goodluck with your surgery I hope that it helps relieve some of your pain. I have had three knee surgeries.  And had general anesthetic for all three.  It's not all that bad, what is is that you are afraid of. I find I feel really rested when I wake up post op. I would rather be asleep than know what is going on in there.  Remember that the anestesiologist is monitoring you and watching your vitals etc. If you have any questions make sure you ask him/her when they come to see you before they take you in.
Take care and goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 08:33:18 PM »
Hey Cindy, goodluck with your surgery I hope that it helps relieve some of your pain. I have had three knee surgeries.  And had general anesthetic for all three.  It's not all that bad, what is is that you are afraid of. I find I feel really rested when I wake up post op. I would rather be asleep than know what is going on in there.  Remember that the anestesiologist is monitoring you and watching your vitals etc. If you have any questions make sure you ask him/her when they come to see you before they take you in.
Take care and goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 09:42:10 PM »
Cindy!
I want to wishyou good luck with your surgery tomorrow!

I rememebr when my OS told me he would do a scope with LR and chondroplasty on me... I told all my patients "Oh it's just a scope nothing to worry about" but the moment I knew I had to go in I kinda got worried! This settled down though, 'cause I knew what was going to happen where, how,etc, in the hospital I was lying on my ward, knew every single person I saw on ward, OR, etc.

First time i had a spinal with sedative. Not fun as I wanted to see everything (curious as I am!) and first thing I know i was in my room and it was 11PM! Second time (TTT) I only had a spinal and was awake during the whole surgery!!! Pitty i couldn't see anything though >:(

Try to relax, do the happy things you like adn don't think about tomorrow!
Good luck!!!!!!!!
~Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 09:42:10 PM »
Cindy!
I want to wishyou good luck with your surgery tomorrow!

I rememebr when my OS told me he would do a scope with LR and chondroplasty on me... I told all my patients "Oh it's just a scope nothing to worry about" but the moment I knew I had to go in I kinda got worried! This settled down though, 'cause I knew what was going to happen where, how,etc, in the hospital I was lying on my ward, knew every single person I saw on ward, OR, etc.

First time i had a spinal with sedative. Not fun as I wanted to see everything (curious as I am!) and first thing I know i was in my room and it was 11PM! Second time (TTT) I only had a spinal and was awake during the whole surgery!!! Pitty i couldn't see anything though >:(

Try to relax, do the happy things you like adn don't think about tomorrow!
Good luck!!!!!!!!
~Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 01:50:54 AM »
I've been put under 12 times I think and I've lived to tell about it. The anesthesiologist will give you some "I don't care" drugs before you go under and from then you really won't care. Next thing you know it will be over and you'll be in the recovery room. They are used to people being scared out of their minds and they know how to deal with it.

Good luck!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2004, 01:50:54 AM »
I've been put under 12 times I think and I've lived to tell about it. The anesthesiologist will give you some "I don't care" drugs before you go under and from then you really won't care. Next thing you know it will be over and you'll be in the recovery room. They are used to people being scared out of their minds and they know how to deal with it.

Good luck!

Offline SarahSmile

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2004, 08:59:37 AM »
Hi :) I know how you feel, it can be very frightening knowing that you are putting all your trust and faith into these dr's and you'll be asleep all the while! Well, I can assure you that there is NOTHING to worry about being put asleep- the risk of anything remotely serious occuring are so so so rare. I would keep trying to rationalize your fear by telling yourself that there is nothing to be afraid of, that you have confidence in your dr's abilities and they will have a team of dr's watching your every flutter, heartbeat, blood pressure, how are you reacting to medication, your body temporature, etc , etc. They will be constantly watching you and monitoring your vitals. It is so incredibly rare for anything to go wrong while your under the knife.
I would talk to the anesthesiologist tomorrow and ask all your questions and ask if you can have an epidural with the type of surgery you're having- then you will be awake and not have to stress about being under with the general ;)
I've had about 17 surgeries since I was a baby and have never had a problem. I've had a couple of strange reactions to the general when I was younger, mainly just vomiting, disoriented when waking up, taking a long time for the anaesthesia to where off..however, they use much different meds these days (much lighter anaesthesia and get out of your system very fast as well)..unlike the heavy anaethesia they used to give that caused bad side effects. So when you wake up, you will wake up feeling pretty awake (it may take a few minutes though), then the worst side effects you could have are nausea (but they have anti-nausea meds for that) or you could have bad pain (but they have demoral/ morphine for that). So, just talk to the anasthesologist as much as possible before and after the surgery so he knows what kinds of meds to give you before and after to make it as comfortable as possible for you.

Also--- Ask for VERSED right when you arrive at the hospital...it's an injection of valium. Works very well, you won't be caring about it after that :) It will help you to relax right away, it works very quickly and very effectively.
It is TOTALLY normal to have anxiety about having surgery--it's a control thing...its really hard to let go  and just trust that the dr's will do their best and take care of us while we are *gone*... But they have done this thousands of times over and over, all turning out to be positive and successful procedures!
I wish the best for you and keep us posted!

Good luck :)
Sarah
Severe AF
'95-ACL Recon
'01-ACL Recon revision; 30 degrees extension
'02-MUA, notchplasty. Severe arthrofibrosis.
'04-MUA,Chondroplasty,menisectomy,synovectomy,bone spur rmvl.
'04-MUA, Chondroplasty,synovectomy
'05-Extensive LOA, AIR, LR
Surgery #7: 7/12/06: LOA, AIr
9/15/06: DIAGNOSED W/ RSD

Offline SarahSmile

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 08:59:37 AM »
Hi :) I know how you feel, it can be very frightening knowing that you are putting all your trust and faith into these dr's and you'll be asleep all the while! Well, I can assure you that there is NOTHING to worry about being put asleep- the risk of anything remotely serious occuring are so so so rare. I would keep trying to rationalize your fear by telling yourself that there is nothing to be afraid of, that you have confidence in your dr's abilities and they will have a team of dr's watching your every flutter, heartbeat, blood pressure, how are you reacting to medication, your body temporature, etc , etc. They will be constantly watching you and monitoring your vitals. It is so incredibly rare for anything to go wrong while your under the knife.
I would talk to the anesthesiologist tomorrow and ask all your questions and ask if you can have an epidural with the type of surgery you're having- then you will be awake and not have to stress about being under with the general ;)
I've had about 17 surgeries since I was a baby and have never had a problem. I've had a couple of strange reactions to the general when I was younger, mainly just vomiting, disoriented when waking up, taking a long time for the anaesthesia to where off..however, they use much different meds these days (much lighter anaesthesia and get out of your system very fast as well)..unlike the heavy anaethesia they used to give that caused bad side effects. So when you wake up, you will wake up feeling pretty awake (it may take a few minutes though), then the worst side effects you could have are nausea (but they have anti-nausea meds for that) or you could have bad pain (but they have demoral/ morphine for that). So, just talk to the anasthesologist as much as possible before and after the surgery so he knows what kinds of meds to give you before and after to make it as comfortable as possible for you.

Also--- Ask for VERSED right when you arrive at the hospital...it's an injection of valium. Works very well, you won't be caring about it after that :) It will help you to relax right away, it works very quickly and very effectively.
It is TOTALLY normal to have anxiety about having surgery--it's a control thing...its really hard to let go  and just trust that the dr's will do their best and take care of us while we are *gone*... But they have done this thousands of times over and over, all turning out to be positive and successful procedures!
I wish the best for you and keep us posted!

Good luck :)
Sarah
Severe AF
'95-ACL Recon
'01-ACL Recon revision; 30 degrees extension
'02-MUA, notchplasty. Severe arthrofibrosis.
'04-MUA,Chondroplasty,menisectomy,synovectomy,bone spur rmvl.
'04-MUA, Chondroplasty,synovectomy
'05-Extensive LOA, AIR, LR
Surgery #7: 7/12/06: LOA, AIr
9/15/06: DIAGNOSED W/ RSD