Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patellectomy???  (Read 1078 times)

Offline skiboat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Patellectomy???
« on: February 11, 2004, 11:06:35 PM »
Is it time to remove my patella?

I am 45 and the rest of my knee seems to be in decent shape so I am reluctant to have a TKR.  I work in a profession that involves a lot of sitting and knee bending and desperately want to continue water skiing.  I would appreciate feedback and/or advice from anyone who has had a patellectomy due to trauma!

Approximately six and 1/2 years ago I was involved in a water skiing accident and fractured my patella into 3 pieces.  Thirteen weeks later the hardware was removed and the patella refractured shortly after.  A 3rd surgery was performed in conjunction with bone grafting and refixation.

One year later, a 4th surgery to remove hardware followed by a severe strep infection.  A 5th srugery was to clean out scare tissue and 6th surgery performed to complete a tibial osteotomy.  I have been in pain for 6.5 years and am now considering a patellectomy.

Offline skiboat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Patellectomy???
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 11:06:35 PM »
Is it time to remove my patella?

I am 45 and the rest of my knee seems to be in decent shape so I am reluctant to have a TKR.  I work in a profession that involves a lot of sitting and knee bending and desperately want to continue water skiing.  I would appreciate feedback and/or advice from anyone who has had a patellectomy due to trauma!

Approximately six and 1/2 years ago I was involved in a water skiing accident and fractured my patella into 3 pieces.  Thirteen weeks later the hardware was removed and the patella refractured shortly after.  A 3rd surgery was performed in conjunction with bone grafting and refixation.

One year later, a 4th surgery to remove hardware followed by a severe strep infection.  A 5th srugery was to clean out scare tissue and 6th surgery performed to complete a tibial osteotomy.  I have been in pain for 6.5 years and am now considering a patellectomy.