Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 8 weeks patellar tendon repair post-op. Questions and my experience.  (Read 2525 times)

Offline nmacseven50

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 17
Hello my name is Nic. I've posted in the spiritual section but I have not yet introduced myself in this section. I am 19 years old and I am active and I play College basketball. In October I was running up a flight of stairs and when I got to the top I was in severe pain and my knee was clicking. The pain eventually went away and I didn't think anything of it. Over the next month I was in pretty bad pain, and my knee was swollen after basketball. After about a month of heckling with insurance I was able to get an MRI and surgery. I had a partial tear of the PT, and it was about 75% of the tendon. The doctor told me surgery was my only option since I am very active and because of my size. I am 7 foot and 250 pounds.

I'm 8 weeks post op now and things are alright. I am just getting out of the brace now. I am working on physical therapy and currently at the stage of doing squats, single leg step ups and a lot of band work. I feel like I am hitting the point in my rehab where I am really starting to get stronger. With that said, it also comes with a lot more pain. I am usually very sore after Physical therapy and it lasts usually until the next day sometime. I also get very sore when I walk a lot. If I go to town and go to a mall or grocery shopping, etc I am in some pain afterwards. I have also felt a couple times where I feel like my knee wants to almost give out or it feel like it wants to go into hyperextension.

I have a few questions:
How should I address the pain I have after PT and walking? I know I am going to be sore and that's fine. How do I make sure it's just soreness and that I'm not actually hurting something in my knee?

What is the actual recovery time back to sports for this issue? I mean how long will it be until I can actually play basketball without pain and the thought and fear of re injury? I know a lot of it is mental.

Once I am back to sports, what can I expect after playing? For example, will my knee swell up and become painful after a practice or game? How long will that last? And is this something that will bother me during sports way after I am recovered? I know a friend of my parent's who played basketball and football when he was younger. He had a knee injury about 15 years ago and he still complains about pain and stiffness when he exercises or runs.

I appreciate any answers I can get! Feel free to comment or share your experiences. Any posts are great. The more info the better. Feel free to ask me any questions as well.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: 8 weeks patellar tendon repair post-op. Questions and my experience.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 07:36:40 PM »

Hi Nmacseven50

Having now traced you on KneeGuru, I found that you posted on the wrong thread - suggest you look at Ruptured Patella Tendon/Surgery.

Meanwhile, click on the undermentioned thread, where you will finad a collection of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru - they cover your RPT injury and the rehab process.  I hope that you find the information useful, meanwhile don`t push it - listen to your knee and ASK questions.

Best

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

support