Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: What have I done? :(  (Read 1596 times)

Offline LeanneWhite87

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What have I done? :(
« on: January 27, 2015, 01:58:03 PM »
Hi guys, I'm in need of some advice/reassurance if possible.

My knee history in brief is that it's been giving out easily and popping since I was 5 years old. For years this was just put down to growing pains etc... but no real investigation was done until 2008 when I had an arthroscopy for torn meniscus after my 3rd patella dislocation. I then had another arthroscopy in 2012 after a 4th dislocation in which I had some overgrown tissue removed (sorry I'm not good with all the terminology).

5 1/2 weeks ago I slipped down the stairs and the twisting motion caused yet another patella dislocation. After a few minutes of laying in agony in relocated so I saw no need to go to the hospital (I've never had to have it manually relocated before).
The swelling was extreme to the point that it cut off the circulation to the lower half of my leg for 2 days.
I saw the Dr who recommended I go to the hospital but as a busy mum of 3 with a husband who works full time and it being 2 days before Christmas I said no. (In hindsight I wish I had listened to him)
He took an X-ray which showed the patella was in the right place, no fracture but a large amount of fluid leaking in to the joint. He gave me pain killers, told me to rest up and see him again 4 days later.

After I saw him 4 days later I was sent straight to physiotherapy who immediately put my leg in a brace and gave me crutches. I've been seeing them once a week ever since.

However now, here I am 5 1/2 weeks post injury and although I can weight bear and no longer use the brace I cannot fully extend my leg, I can bend it to about 90 degrees and almost get it straight but there is something preventing it from extending quite to the full amount.
My physiotherapist has decided that the knee is not healing as it should and has requested a referral to the surgeon.

I'm really confused about what I have done, I've never been through this before with previous dislocations, I'm usually back to normal by now.

The pain is all on the medial side of the knee and when I do try to straighten the leg it sort of twists ever so slightly towards the lateral side. It's almost like some ligament on the medial side just doesn't want to extend/work. Does that make sense?

I've look up torn ligaments though and I didn't hear a loud pop when I fell etc...

Can anyone give me any idea about what I might have done or what to expect? (this is really impacting my life right now.

Thanks in advance
1992 - first left knee subluxation age 5
1992 onwards multiple subluxations and dislocations, physical therapy.
2007 1st arthroscopy removal of loose body
2012 2nd arthroscopy removal of synovium
2015 MRI reveals ruptured MPFL and Trochlear Dysplasia
awaiting trochleoplasty

Offline K9Sport

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Re: What have I done? :(
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 06:43:07 PM »
Sounds like you probably need an MRI for proper diagnosis. 
11/2014 - PHMM Root Ligament Repair (failed)
6/2015 - revision of PHMM Root ligament repair, LOA, Chondroplasty

Offline LeanneWhite87

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 12:53:46 AM »
OK so an update:

I'm now 7 weeks post injury. The swelling and bruising has gone but I am still unable to completely extend my leg when bearing weight. I can just about manage to extend when I am sat with my leg on a flat surface though. I'm also still getting pain and a pulling sensation on the inside of my knee and around the back.

I have recently started driving again by pulling the seat right forward so I don't need to fully extend to use the clutch however I have noticed that something catches and grinds on the top outside of the patella. I also notice it sometimes when I am just bending the leg normally. The knee still feels extremely unstable, like it will give out on me at any moment.

I have a consultant appointment scheduled for the 19th and I know that chances are that I'm looking at an MRI at best or another arthroscopy but I was wondering if anyone had any sort of idea what I could be looking at please?

It's very unnerving to not have complete use of such an important body part :/
awaiting trochleoplasty

Offline LeanneWhite87

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 11:47:07 AM »
This post has been read over 160 times and no one can offer me any type of insight??
awaiting trochleoplasty

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 12:22:27 PM »
You would be best to wait for the consultant appointment next week.  You really need a medical professional to examine your knee, consider your history, make use of relevant imaging.  Unfortunately, the same symptoms can mean different things.  In the meantime RICE is the best course of action even if the joint doesn't seem swollen :)

The lack of full extension could be a meniscus tear with the torn tissue blocking the joint but it could be many other things too.  Your history of dislocations could mean a torn MPFL for example.  Has your physio not suggested what could be going on?

Make a list of questions and your concerns for the surgeon when you see him

Good luck :)

Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Sarahjaye

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 01:26:08 PM »
+1 to what Vickster has said. Your pain sounds oddly similar to my own. I'm also waiting to follow up with my surgeon on the 17th. I fell and hit my kneecap, I originally thought I had maybe cracked my kneecap but after 3 clear xrays they sent me for an MRI. I've had 4 different diagnosis on what "could" be going on, everything from PCL tear, ACL tear, PCL and ACL tear combo (do I get fries with that?), maybe some meniscus damage and one bursitis diagnosis from a Dr who didn't even look at my knee (grrr). My PT and surgeon both think there is a ligament tear-but on which one they differ. My PT says that with a ligament tear you get a lot of swelling (apparently more so from the ACL tear), which can 'sit' behind your knee, making it very painful. I agree with Vickster on the possible meniscus issue when it comes to the blocking, but it could also be other issues unrelated to the meniscus. As Vickster said, RICE is the best advice until the follow up. Best of luck

Offline LeanneWhite87

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 12:52:10 PM »
Sorry for being ignorant but what is Rice?

My knee did swell very dramatically. I will see if I can attach the picture on here.
awaiting trochleoplasty

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 12:54:51 PM »
Rest-Ice-Compression-Elevation

As it sounds, ice for no more than 20 minutes and never with the ice against the skin.

Elevate above the heart, at least having knee off floor. Support it with cushions under the calf and ankle not the knee

Compression with a tight support, best get advice on such from a physio

Rest is self explanatory :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support