Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MPFL reconstruction  (Read 636 times)

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
MPFL reconstruction
« on: January 26, 2015, 08:26:49 PM »
Hey guys!
So I met with my OS last week and have a few questions for you guys about recovery and stuff. So he said he won't really know what he is doing until he gets into my knee, however he did say for sure that he will be tightening my soft tissue using my quad tendon and will be doing a trochleoplasty. He said for the trochleoplasty that he just sticks soft tissue in the groove like clay. Is that what all trochleoplasty's are? I thought they usually shaved the bone or something! He said if after he does all of that my kneecap still feels unstable to him then he will proceed with an MPFL reconstruction. 

Has anyone had something similar done? Looks like even if he doesn't do the MPFL recon that the recovery will be fairly similar. How long was your hospital stay? Driving? Is it common for people to have an MPFL recon even though they don't dislocate often? I sublux daily, but have only dislocated once and the ligament is in tact. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

Schnops
TTO, LR, arthoscopy, medial tightening R leg -03/'13
Hardware Removal- 9/'13
TTO, LR, athroscopy, medial tightening L leg- 10/'13
VMO advancement, LR, trochleoplasty

Offline Georgie28793

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Re: MPFL reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 04:13:19 PM »
Hi schnops,

It's interesting to read your surgeons take on the trochleoplasty. I am scheduled for various surgeries in April, one being a trochleoplasty. Having no idea what it was, my surgeon went throught it with me and it sounds very different to yours. I am having a recession trochleoplasty, which is were (I believe) they take the top piece of bone off, make a deeper groove underneath, replace the surface bone further down and then cover with the cartilage. (I am no surgeon, this is just how it was explained to me!) Saying that, I have quite severe trochlea displasia, causing a 'dome' shape instead of a groove. Maybe if you have less severe displasia, they can use a different method to correct it?
Regarding the MPFL recon, maybe the ligament itself is thin and therefor worth replacing, if you're already having surgery anyway?
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, I will be as interested as you are in reading people's replies.

Good luck!
2000/14 - multiple dislocations of both knees
August '14 - bad LK dislocation
April '15 - LK MPFL reconstruction, tibial tubercle osteotomy and supramalleolar derotational osteotomy