Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patella Fracture  (Read 1119 times)

Offline jezabel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella Fracture
« on: January 24, 2015, 05:12:06 PM »
On Jan.8,2015, I fell on my right knee at work. Went to ER where they did xrays. I was told to follow up with a OS. I made an Appt. the next day and met with a surgeon and he told me I had a displaced fracture of my right Patella about 1/8 inch. I thought with all displaced fractures they did surgery, but he said it was minimal in his opinion and should heal in time without surgery. I am very nervous that this may take a long time. Do you heal faster with surgery? It has only been two weeks but they will not make a commitment to how long this healing process takes. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
Re: Patella Fracture
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 05:48:03 PM »
Jezabel:

There are many people in these forums who had patella fractures. Some should write you back but with use of the forum search you should be able to find many threads with valuable information.

About surgery, if your surgeon feels it may not be necessary, then lucky you!!! Seriously!

A patella surgery to pin and wire things together is quite aggressive and may cause a lot of collateral damage. Surgery should be a last resource and only if the bones have no way to be held together without metallic assistance.

If your patella is not all displaced and cracked in multiple pieces, then with the fracture itself, bone marrow will bleed into the gap of that crack. This bone marrow contains stem cells and hormones which will create new bone in the fractured zone. Time depends, on age for example, younger people may heal faster than older and other factors may count (smokers may have a slower healing response for example). Typical bones will merge again in a period between 3 to 5 weeks... but depends.

There is a risk of non-union, for instance if the parts were not so solid as thought. But just 1/8th of an inch means it's just a small crack.

For now be patient and see if things will sort out without surgery. If not you can do it later, but if you can avoid being cut, dismantled, nailed all over the place and stitched back then lucky you (you don't need scar tissue in a mobile part like the knee. This is really a last resource...

You will need physio, because you may loose some range of motion and a lot of muscle in the coming weeks. So prepare that part for when the doctor gives the go ahead signal... Don't delay it more than necessary.

Good luck

Offline jezabel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patella Fracture
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 02:40:15 AM »
Thank you MDAL for responding to my questions. I have never fractured a bone before and have no idea what this outcome will be. I am 60 years old, in good health and do not smoke. I have always lifted weights and have been cardio active. I am just not very patient when not receiving a definitive answer for how long this will take to heal, I am not used to sitting. I don't want surgery, but would hate to find out I should have had it down the road. I also have never gone on a site like this before, very new to me. Guess I will just need to have more faith in my doctors decision. 

support