Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: False Positive Pivot Shift Possible?  (Read 935 times)

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
False Positive Pivot Shift Possible?
« on: January 23, 2015, 01:02:39 AM »
I have made another thread regarding my knee, but wanted to know more about this specific question in case people have browsed over it and didn't notice. 

I've had my lateral meniscus removed and now seem to have a damaged medial meniscus that I injured about 2.5 years ago.  I've had two previous ACL surgeries and am hoping I haven't torn my ACL once again.  The MRI came out negative for my ACL and says it's intact, but that I do have damage to my meniscus.  With that being said I tested positive on a pivot shift test twice since the injury 2.5 years ago and there was that dreaded 'shift' and 'clunk'.  My knee has never given out since and I don't even think it gave out that day where I think I hurt it.  My knee feels completely stable and can do many different maneuvers such as high kicks with it planted and kicked out with force without any sense of knee instability.

Is it possible to have a positive pivot shift and still not have the ACL torn?  It's really a blow to my confidence testing positive on a pivot shift test as I now really believe it is indeed torn.  Any ideas?

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: False Positive Pivot Shift Possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 04:14:21 PM »
is it possible?  Anyone ever hear a story of a false positive pivot shift?