Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 9 weeks post op fractured patella, what's normal progress?  (Read 612 times)

Offline Jean S

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
9 weeks post op fractured patella, what's normal progress?
« on: January 21, 2015, 12:06:54 AM »
I fractured my right patella on Nov17, had surgery Nov 21. OS used crazy 8 sutures to repair but didn't need hardware. Been in PT since Dec 11 and with its ups and downs have seen improvement little by little. Off crutches a couple weeks now. Pt unlocked knee brace today for good besides still have to lock for stairs. To make a long story short he measured my ROM today and it was 105 and he seemed disappointed. Said I should at least be at 110 to 120 right now. I went up about 10 points 2 weeks ago for range of motion but only went up 5 this last week. Does anyone know what's normal for 9 weeks post op? Here I thought I was making progress and now am a little depressed. Do all my exercises but some intense pain stops me from pushing my motion real far. Thanks!

Offline Heidi S

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 9
  • Now for wrath, now for ruin & the red dawn! Forth!
Re: 9 weeks post op fractured patella, what's normal progress?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 01:23:53 AM »
Hi Jean,
First, let me say I think your progress is awesome!  105 is fantastic, and as you've described, it's steady and consistent, which sounds like a testament to your hard work.  While I'm new to my injury (you're ahead of me so I don't have much to offer to your specific question), I know that sometimes PT's can be a bit ambitious and not realize how invalidating that can feel...  I'm sorry you're feeling down about what sounds like something to celebrate, even if it's little by little (that's all of us, I guess).

I also had a patella fx (also had to repair the patellar tendon) w/ no hardware, just sutures inside - and having just ended 6 weeks post-op, I'm only at 70 ROM - - just for some perspective!  As I said, your progress sounds awesome to me! 

I also wanted to direct your attention to the section focusing on "Breaks in and around the Knee" or something like that - I think there might be entries in there that can give you a good sense of 'normal' progress, also, I've found it helpful just to read people's descriptions etc. in that section to get a broadstroke perspective of how people progress in general. 

I hope you continue to keep up your great efforts and hang in there, it sounds to me like you're not only on track but heading into  the final stretch (pun intended!).   My best, Heidi 
12/2/14:  Fractured L. Patella, tore P. Tendon
12/9/14:  ORIF Surgery + repair p. tendon
12/23/14: PWB on crutches
1/5/15:  ROM 65
1/14/15: ROM 70
1/23/15: ROM 90
2/3/15: ROM 105; stationary bike
2/11/15: ROM 114; first steps!
3/3/15: ROM 121
3/24/15: ROM 132

Offline Jean S

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: 9 weeks post op fractured patella, what's normal progress?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 01:45:26 AM »
Heidi,
Thanks for the reply, you have made me feel much better! It's nice to have someone who understands. Family and friends mean well but we tend to want to be strong in front of them and not complain. I appreciate you steering me in the right direction on the Breaks in the Knee which I'm going to look for right now. I wish you the best in your recovery, you have a great attitude so I see you having no problems! Take care, Jean

support