Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL CYST AND MINOR MENSICUS TEAR!  (Read 1048 times)

Offline GirlGeek

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL CYST AND MINOR MENSICUS TEAR!
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:50:13 PM »
Hi everyone ! not sure if I'm posting this in the right thread but I recently found out (after less than a year since my ACL reconstruction) I managed to re-injury my knee. The MRI results showed that I have a 2cm cyst around my new ACL and a minor lateral meniscus tear. My doctor said it's not a bad injury and that surgery most likely won't be needed. I'm seeing my surgeon this week so that I can get final confirmation on what's the best thing I can do since I'm supposed to be returning to competitive sports :( I was wondering if anyone of you have any knowledge on cysts and what kind of potential restrictions they have? Or have any idea or experience with one themselves and think I'll be able to get back to sports soon?

Thank you for your time :) 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 03:12:23 AM by GirlGeek »

Offline ttinok

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ACL CYST AND MINOR MENSICUS TEAR!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 05:09:34 PM »
Hello, I am in a similar spot as you having been recently diagnosed with an MCL cyst (possible meniscus tear since that's where the source of the fluid is).  From my research & what my doc says,  the procedure is simple, quick (15-30min) & I can weight bear immediately after.  I am not a competitive sports person, but want to get back to the gym (cross fit type stuff) & expect to do so in about 3-4 weeks after the surgery.

I'm still on the fence about it since it's not causing me a lot of pain or discomfort right now.  I had it aspirated a month ago & kept it wrapped for a week & it really helped break up the fluid in the mass.  At night I use a heat pad & that keeps the fluid soft & in general less achey.

Mine is a ganglion cyst & on the opposite side from yours, so location & type may make a difference in surgical outcomes, but I will keep you posted on my progress & hope to hear back from you too.

Good Luck!  :)

Toni

Offline ttinok

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 05:45:39 AM »
Hi again, I have scheduled my cyst removal for later this month & was wondering if you opted for surgery too.  I am nervous as it is an open procedure & I am not sure how much repair is needed.  I am not a competitive sports person, but want to get back to my active lifestyle asap & this seems to be a rare condition that is hard to find online info on.  My doc said at my last appt that it would actually be 8-12 weeks before I could get back to full workouts again...ugh.

Offline ttinok

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 06:19:19 AM »
One more update for you.  I am one week post op & feeling a bit confused.  My cyst actually originated at the acl & grew big enough it popped out on the medial side, just missing the MCL.  The meniscus was perfect & the only odd thing the scope showed was a tilted knee cap.  I am still very swollen & barely able to walk w/o crutches and almost no ability to bend it.  With no damage to either ligament or meniscus I thought I would be getting around better, but the knee is a funny joint & b/c of size of the cyst I guess there was a lot of cutting that has put me in the relax & let it heal phase.

Good luck if you decide to do surgery too. :)

support