Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TORN ACL or NOT?  (Read 13821 times)

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: TORN ACL or NOT?
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2015, 03:27:32 PM »
Even just an eval by a PT would be a good thing to have done; you'd probably be surprised at where you've got weaknesses and imbalances--often in places you don't even realize. Chances are you've done a lot of totally unconscious compensatory shifting. If you're really serious about returning at a high level, invest in the PT. A good done is worth his/her weight in gold for an athlete.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2015, 12:11:00 AM »
Going to get a 4th opinion actually.  Got fired from my job the other day and now have more free time.  This will be my last opinion and go from there once and for all

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2015, 08:14:45 AM »
Make sure you get this opinion from a surgeon who is highly experienced and expert in ACL reconstructions rather than someone more general or who claims to be the best because he works with a football team or some such. Where are you in the us? Look through the surgeon database in the info hub or see if anyone in the ACL forum has any recommendations

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2015, 02:47:38 PM »
New Jersey.  I tried to do thar last time through my insurance and search for the best knee doctor with the best reviews and awards.  But I will also try the surgeon database on here as well, thanks.

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2015, 11:24:29 PM »
Looking over my MRI, yes it does have a clear black strand signifying a healthy acl.  But then there's one image that gets me a little worried it could be partially torn.  It's a real close up of the fibers and on top portion connecting to the femur there seems to be a white area along with the black, and im thinking to myself it could be partially torn now.

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2015, 07:35:37 PM »
MRIs are tricky to interpret--even for medical professionals. That's why a radiologist looks at it and gives his/her findings.

And it's not just a matter of black/white=torn not torn, etc. What dark/light signifies depends on the type of image, etc.

89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2015, 09:15:54 PM »
Ive come to the conclusion for good and we can close this thread.  Im hitting the gym hard and trying out my leg in a sport in 2-3 months and possibly join a sports clinic beforehand.  I think it really is mental at this point. 

What really gets me thinking is the time 2.5 years ago when I thought I had reinjured it again if the knee gave out or not, because if it did, shouldn't the ACL be torn, I remember I was stressed because I thought it gave out, could I have just over reacted and it never in fact gave out and perhaps just a little nudge from the patella making a clunk sound?  Because my patella does clunk easily and doesnt seem to sit in the groove like normal.

Plus, why am I getting sore so quickly after jogging? Can it just be inactivity after 3 years of doing no physical activity?  I mean that makes sense, but my first instinct from so many injuries is that maybe I have a meniscus tear or partial acl tear or complete tear.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:21:39 PM by kneeProblem »

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2015, 09:24:13 PM »
I believe patella maltracking is often caused by muscle weakness or imbalance, you'd be best to get this assessed by a physio and get a tailored programme to address the issue. I am sure that's what any good surgeon would suggest
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2015, 09:37:35 PM »
Yes and it's the same clunk in the pivot shift test from two doctors.  Can they be confusing maltracking with the clunk in the pivot shift test thereby giving a false positive?  Because my knee clunks just by touching my kneecap side to side with my fingers.  Kneecap seems to be a bit loose?

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »
Also I dont know if anyone has ever experienced this, but after revision acl surgery, I've always been able to see the outline of my acl through my leg but I still wondered if my acl was still torn or not because there could still be a tear in the middle somewhere. I dont know if this was due to loss of bone from the surgery, but looking at my leg in the mirror I can see the actual ACL ligament lining!  The more I think about it now, I really think its not torn. 

Is this normal? Being able to see the actual lining of the ACL by just looking at the knee through a mirror?  Or is it what Im seeing just the tunnel? The lining is seen much better when I flex my quad and will provide a link here to the pictures so you can see what im talking about.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:43:52 PM by kneeProblem »

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2015, 06:46:04 PM »
Here are the pictures of my left knee.  First one is standing with quad flexed.  And the second one is my leg extended in the air.  Is this normal to see the lining of the ACL? lol, I guess I've lost a lot of bone through the surgeries.  Or what exactly am I looking at?  Is the lining in those pics just the tunnel or is it safe to say it's the ACL?

http://tinypic.com/r/2rp67np/8

http://tinypic.com/r/28v3toy/8

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:50:49 PM by kneeProblem »

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 115
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2015, 08:20:34 PM »
I wonder if what you are seeing in the 'mirror' is hypertrophy (overgrowth) of the original harvest site in the patellar tendon?
--
KNEEguru

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2015, 08:41:49 PM »
How can it be the patellar tendon, if it's clear you can see the diagonal line where the ACL should be.  Connecting from the lateral femoral condyle to the tibia

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2015, 09:37:36 PM »
I see two raised areas in your picture - one central and one oblique as you say. I was referring to the central one.

The ACL is passed inside the bone and not visible from outside. Unless maybe you had some other procedure at the same time?
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2015, 09:43:11 PM »
Like a Mackintosh procedure - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16103958
--