Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TORN ACL or NOT?  (Read 13793 times)

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: TORN ACL or NOT?
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2015, 03:59:59 PM »
The thing that concerns me is the pivot shift test.  I thinm the last doctor really did a poor job in evaluating the pivot shift and even when I heard a small click he tried to brush it off and kind of just gave off the vibe that he didn't want to operate on me. Also when I pivot I sometimes more often than not hear a clunk, which is a bad sign and that my acl is most likely torn as the tibia is not tracking correctly anymore with the loss of the acl

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2015, 04:15:02 PM »
Which surgeon is willing to operate?  The one who has operated before?  If happy with their previous management, go back to them again and ask for more tests, explaining all your worries and concerns
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2015, 04:35:37 PM »
Is a clunk when pivoting an almost definite sign of a torn acl even if it doesn't give out?  Because most of the time I go to pivot my knee clunks.  I think I'm going to just get the acl surgery

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2015, 04:38:03 PM »
Have you read the ACL primer in the info hub, should provide insight into clinical signs

I've no ACL history, but does it matter if there is a clunk if there's no pain, swelling, instability?
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2015, 04:46:50 PM »
Of course it matters, its the same clunk in a positive pivot shift that two of the doctors found when evaluating my knee.  And from doing my research, according to doctors, it is said that patients claim they hear that same clunk from a positive pivot shift as when pivoting or normal activities and that its a sign of an acl tear :(
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:58:09 PM by kneeProblem »

Offline rnm37

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2015, 06:11:44 PM »
I've had 2 ACL recons and it would seem strange to me that this clunking you describe when pivoting is related to being ACL deficient. When I tried to pivot on my knee pre surgeries, it was the feeling of absolutely nothing being there (no clunk or anything, just total giving way) that worried me! Currently, my knee is a bit loose but stable and I NOW experience clunking when pivoting, which both my physio and I agree is patello-femoral related - this area of the joint takes a bit of strain during intensive ACL rehab exercises and wear and tear can occur, especially considering the knee is already compromised.
I totally understand your frustrations and feelings of uncertainty with your knee, I have gone through exactly the same thing but I do think its important to keep things in perspective - after 2 major surgeries a knee is never going to behave exactly like it did before, thats the unfortunate reality of this type of injury.
June 2012 - ACL rupture and lateral meniscus tear

December 2012 - ACL recon (hamstring autograft) and meniscus trim

October 2013 - Retore ACL and tore medial meniscus :(!

January 2014 - Revision ACL recon (hamstring)

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2015, 07:19:10 PM »
Appreciate the advice mm, its good to hear clunking can be normal and I'm trying to remember now if I had clunking before this supposed reinjury.  I also like many have said already probably have become a little psycholgically damaged with all these injuries and perhaps I'm just overthinking everything, but with differing opinions amongst doctors, its kind of normal to doubt if it is indeed torn. 

I'm going to most likely skip surgery for now and concentrate on getting a lot stronger before even attempting to touch any sporting activity.  Once I feel I've gained lots of strength in my legs and core I will attempt to test out this acl of mine and the moment of truth will be realized.

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2015, 06:40:29 AM »
I'm going to most likely skip surgery for now and concentrate on getting a lot stronger before even attempting to touch any sporting activity.  Once I feel I've gained lots of strength in my legs and core I will attempt to test out this acl of mine and the moment of truth will be realized.

That's a really good approach. Look at it as another self-test, but a more definitive one - if the knee does have laxity, and it's exposed when you return to sports, then you'll know that it's time to explore the surgical options. And the strengthening won't have been wasted either way - either it'll get you ready for a safe and steady return to sports, or it'll put you in a really good place going into surgery if the worst happens.
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2015, 11:10:45 PM »
Lets just hope that when I go back to play and my knee ends up giving out, lets just hope it doesnt tear anything else when it gives out. :-X

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2015, 11:17:26 PM »
Talk to your physiotherapist about bracing for sport, and certainly don't go,out expecting to get hurt!

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2015, 03:09:15 AM »
I probably need a psychiatrist the most at this point lol.  Thanks again guys for all the support and advice.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2015, 09:02:03 AM »
Joking aside, a sports psychologist (not psychiatrist) might be able to help you get over the mental barrier and back to sport :)  Ask your physiotherapist for advice

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2015, 11:04:35 PM »
I don't have a physiotherapist, rather not go to one anyway and pay co-pays each visit.  I will just workout alone as I have a great understanding of how to strengthen the lower body I just never have done it consistently

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2015, 11:08:53 PM »
What would you do about rehab then if you go ahead with surgery? Doesn't the insurance you have at the moment cover physiotherapy? You really should work with someone if return to sport is your aim, not least a trained professional should sign off on you doing so. Is this why you've not returned to football?

Offline kneeProblem

• Regular Poster
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
Yea after surgery my insurance covers my local physiotherapist, but right now I'm not sure I want to get insurance involved just for physio when it all really comes down to just strengthening. I can do that at the gym and I know what exercises are needed.