Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How to prepare for PRP?  (Read 7606 times)

Offline bond

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How to prepare for PRP?
« on: January 18, 2015, 11:53:34 AM »
Does anyone have a guidance how to prepare for a PRP in order to maximize the effect?
I see a lot of sources state one should not take NSAIDs a week before treatment but that's all I can find.

For example would increasing testosterone plasma levels(by any means - tribulus, ZMA, T patches...) make a more potent PRP?

You can affect your bloods contents easily by diet... does anyone know of any useful substances that could get there?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 10:09:59 AM by bond »

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
Re: How to prepare for PRP
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 10:26:10 AM »
I had a few so I can speak on experience... Typical recommendations are to hydrate a lot to clean up and no fats the day before and the same day.

NSAIDs are argued, but the majority advises against them.

Either way, I believe you may be exaggerating by thinking that you will take something that will boost the thing... Platelets and hormones are in the blood, and increasing them may not be the life changing factor...

My belief is that number and frequency of injections (as opposed to concentration or amount of fluid) are the main aspect of success, assuming you are a candidate with potential to start with.

What I had was many injections weekly apart in small amounts (about 3.5mls) and with relatively low concentration... worked wonders for me...

My case was intra-articular for cartilage and meniscus, are you taking it for cartilage or for ligament/tendons?

Offline bond

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: How to prepare for PRP
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 10:40:53 AM »
I will be taking it for cartilage(patello-femoral).

What's the reason to not eat fat?

I was thinking about inflamation too - I've had HA injections in the past and have noticed they had good effect when my knees were in an irritated state(inflamed) and almost no effect(or adverse) when I hadn't pushed my knees the days before.

I don't know how it will be with PRP, will inflammation help or kill/disable the platelets?

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
Re: How to prepare for PRP?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:06:24 PM »
Don't know exactly, it might have to do with the centrifuge process by altering the properties of blood or maybe because something in it gets passed into the plasma concentrate... don't know exactly. Some of the manufactures of PRP list it as something to do...

No inflammation will not disable the platelets... According to the theory the zones with inflammation are releasing chemical signals (stress signals) to which the platelets will connect to in order to heal... (this is the theory)... that the platelets will connect like a pit mosh over damaged areas and attempt healing in there.

Typically I felt a severe reduction of the knee inflammation about a week after each PRP injection... after a series my knee was the same size of the healthy one.

Personally I had a very good response to it. Had initially a series 1 week apart from each other.

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 08:09:44 PM »
One more piece of info (personal experience).

If your problems are in the PF zone, the injection needs to be supra-patella. above the patella, and not to the bottom of the knee.

I had like 17 PRP so far.

When I was having it to the bottom of the knee. It healed (the symptoms) of my medial compartment, but did little to the PF zone.

Then I asked for supra-patella injections and after a few I started feeling the same relief in the PF zone too.

Offline bond

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 09:07:03 PM »
Ok, thanks. That's really useful info.
I'll try to push the doc to make it supra-patellar then.

But will still try to collect more info on the diet/hormonal aspect of it before I pull the trigger.

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 09:19:17 PM »
Pull information from where? Internet?

About dietary aspects, good luck... there must be at least half a million theories (= guesses) without any evidence or any real scientific study behind it, some of which are also selling their miracle booster pills...

There is no actual information on PRP itself... all there is out there is "opinions". I read about 300 studies ("scientific ones") which consist in nothing more and nothing else than injecting PRP and some time later asking the patients how they are doing... just that... similar to a cooking taste trial... no placebo controlled groups, no clinical analysis, no imaging, nothing...

If want to research about dietary aspects before PRP... well enjoy the "theories" and the miracle pills...

Offline bond

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 11:58:46 AM »
Ok, I agree that the information is scarce and hard to find but we may use this topic to gather as much as possible.

Here is an interesting one
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-CbR-FYACePT2hmZkE5aXBNMDQ/edit?pli=1
While undertaking a course of PRP, a number of behavioural guidelines are recommended to the patient. These are as follows:
Cessation or avoidance of smoking
No use of anti-inflammatory medications (e.g. steroids, NSAIDs) for three days before and after a PRP treatment
1 hour session in a hyperbaric chamber before

The smoking and the hyperbaric chamber are also mentioned here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBoSr5xL6jw
+ restriction of alcohol and caffeine before the procedure(no explanations though).

Offline steve21

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 09:05:05 PM »
@MDAL
I know that it is little off topic, but as you went thourgh so many PRP/steam cells procedures so please send a name or link to clinic or doctor with whom I can contact with.

I'm planning to deal with my thorn ACL with use of steam cells and PRP.

Thanks

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 10:19:06 PM »
Bond:

But how much will it cost the hyperbaric chamber? Same or more than another PRP shot?

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 10:20:43 PM »
Steve:

I sent you a PM but I have no idea about your location... It's unlikely we are in such a close geography... but I sent you my email in PM.

Offline bond

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 06:16:04 AM »
Bond:

But how much will it cost the hyperbaric chamber? Same or more than another PRP shot?
You are probably right, it's hard to say if it's worth the money. I didn't do it anyways - it was impossible to schedule it as the PRP procedures were early in the morning + I read elsewhere it would be more efficient if you're a smoker.

Offline sl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 02:15:05 AM »
MDAL,
Thank you for all you have posted. I am a new member and tried to PM you but it wouldn't work
so I hope you are reading this. .
Could you please PM me with the stem cell treatment list you have mentioned in your posts.
This would be most appreciated.

Offline sl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 02:32:42 AM »
MDAL,  I meant could you please PM the list of clinics/doctors doing stem cell, PRP, HA.
thanks

Offline bond

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 07:29:33 AM »
As also mentioned on a couple of other threads here vitamin D3 may aid in the differentiation of the plateles during the centrifugation, so I'm adding this to my supplement list before the next shot.

I will also try to do some excercise before this as it should increase the platelet count in the blood as suggested on a couple of places.

There are some(disputable) sources here and here claiming that omega3 and vitamin C will help increase the platelet count but since they both have some anti-inflammatory effect I'm still not buying into that. Any thoughts?

There are claims that folate and B12 may increase platelet count and function.

support