Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Shafted in CT - healing in Ohio  (Read 1016 times)

Offline karma15

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Shafted in CT - healing in Ohio
« on: January 17, 2015, 06:56:32 PM »
Just writing my frustrations that after being misdiagnosed with slight mcl sprain by the new Uconn Huskies Sports Medicine surgeon [C.E. - edited by KNEEguru]; bad experience and onto another OS [C.R. - edited by KNEEguru].  By the time I got to him I had scarred down and got the MRI - torn ACL, LCL/MCL sprains... [C.R.] says I don't know why your knee is bent but lets bite the bullet and do the acl recon and I'll find out what the problem is.  He does an MUA right before the recon with my ROM being 20/100.  Now I know this is unheard of; a big NO NO...  you just don't do an acl recon without full ROM.  Then he discarded me to PT with no special instructions, didn't follow-up with me or my PT and didn't want to see me for 5 weeks at which point I had re-scarred down ...  15/85 He didn't want to know about me or my arthrofibrosis... tossed away.  I had to research and found this site and Dr. Noyes and now yes I'm in Ohio for a month trying to learn how to walk again.  Sad as I am out a huge amount of money and have no recourse to recoup any expenses that I believe were caused by 2 orthopedic surgeons who did not follow a code of conduct to help me with my injury.  I've been told over and over that unless I'm permanently disabled or dead I can not seek to get any compensation for their disregard.  Sad but true and the doctors know this so there is no adverse results for them to disregard patients issues they don't want to deal with. 

I am going on week 3 of rehab here in Ohio.  Had surgery for arthrofibrosis and will have MUA this week.  Dr. Noyes and his PT team are so amazing; they work hand in hand and it's just a blessing to be here.  I am at 1/100 and will push it.  My goal is to leave at least 0/115...  I can do this...

Let me know if I can give anyone info on Dr. Noyes and his team.  I'll let you all know how this turns out.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 11:45:45 AM by The KNEEguru »

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
Re: Shafted in CT with Edgar and Rios OS - healing in Ohio with CSM/Noyes
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 07:53:55 PM »
Stories here never cease to amaze me... had a similar one... cut in pieces open knee and sent home without a single instruction... had to beg for PT... Long AF story...

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 08:16:31 PM »
Hi karma,
I'm so sorry to hear about your long fought battle. I too have a similar story to yours and have thought a lot about pursuing a lawsuit with my previous OS. I honestly have not decided what to do about it yet. It is so amazing that all of these docs can perform ACL surgery on so many patients but can't seem to recognize the complication of AF. So frustrating! Especially when the doctor's improper treatment contributed to the problem.
I am so glad to hear that you found a doc who can give you the proper treatment that all of us deserve. I hope that now that you have found the right treatment you will achieve more than you think is possible.
I just wanted to wish you luck in your recovery. Sending healing vibes your way!
4/14/14 L ACL rupture, grade 2+ MCL tear
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.
11/20/14 insufflation, MUA
10/19/15: LOA/air, PLM, chondro, synovectomy, med/lat releases

Offline karma15

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 09:11:05 PM »
thank you for you well wishes and healing vibes... so appreciate your response and understanding.  I hope you found wellness and let me know your story....

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 10:26:14 PM »
Karma,
I have a thread posted in the arthrofibrosis section of this website...it's near the top. Says something about stupid arthrofibrosis. It would be easier to catch you up there for the most part. There is no short story there anymore as I'm sure you can relate. It started with an acl/mcl tear playing volleyball and many errors made by my doc. I think the AF set in before my acl surgery when the doc immobilized me for 3 weeks to allow my mcl to heal. My knee was horribly swollen with the initial injury and after the acl surgery and wasn't drained either time. Surgery was done before gaining full range of motion, Pain was never under control, graft placed wrong, hardware protruding from my femur, very painful PT....so, I can check a lot of boxes for the things that set me up for where I'm at now. Oh, and a doctor that wouldn't take my concerns/complaints seriously. The good thing is that I found this website and was able to seek another opinion with Dr. Millett at The Steadman Clinic in Vail after a MUA that made things worse.
When I started seeing Dr. Millett my ROM was +2 extension and about 95-100 flexion. Now I'm at -3 and 139 but still unable to strengthen much because I'm still trying to keep the inflammation under control.
Feel free to shoot me a message if you need to talk or have questions :)
4/14/14 L ACL rupture, grade 2+ MCL tear
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.
11/20/14 insufflation, MUA
10/19/15: LOA/air, PLM, chondro, synovectomy, med/lat releases