Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 4 months post ACLr - what is expected?  (Read 523 times)

Offline kiaran95

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
4 months post ACLr - what is expected?
« on: January 16, 2015, 10:26:30 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a 19 year old male and 4 months from my ACL reconstruction using a hamstring graft, and my main question is what kind of sports/exercises could you expect to be doing at this stage and how much muscle should you expect to have back (approximately)?

..I'd say i'm pretty happy with my recovery so far, apart from the odd clicks here and there my knee feels quite stable. There is virtually no pain in the knee, only the muscles after a workout. I have been trying hard to strenghen my VMO for a couple of months now and I'm starting to notice it again, its probably about 40/50% the size of the VMO in my good leg, my thigh is almost the same size as my good leg but is nowhere near as toned. In terms of exercises, I can run for about 15 mins continuously on a treadmill, comfortably operate machine weights, jumping with both feet, hopping, lunging, and have recently started doing side to side running.

Although I have asked my main questions above, I'd be very grateful for any words of motivation, praise or even what I could be doing that i'm not, based on what i've wrote above. I know this is sort of an open ended question and i'm probably better off asking a physio this kind of staff - but a physio is not an option for me and I'm confident I can have a successful rehab doing it on my own accord.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
Re: 4 months post ACLr - what is expected?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 07:57:59 PM »
These things are very variable from person to person and patients at different ages also react in a different way...

Medical protocols are actually non-existing. Each surgeon seems to have different opinions... the larger number seems to favor not returning to sports until 9 months, while the full muscular recovery may take over a year...

Looks like you are doing well so far, but you still need to have some patience and don't abuse things in a way that may break them.

Good luck!