Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tibial Plateau Fracture with defect  (Read 685 times)

Offline mk123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Hi Everyone
Tibial Plateau Fracture with defect
« on: January 15, 2015, 11:22:44 PM »
Hello All,

I had an on field collision playing cricket and I ended up with fracture on tibial plateau of my right knee . This was in Aug'2012. I had to undergo surgery and the consultant used plates and eight screws to repair the damage. Following that I was been told that there is a defect on tibial plateau and I shouldn't be doing any running or sports. In dec 2013 I went for a follow-up and requested consultant to provide advise on the possible treatment options for the defect. Throughout this period I always had persistent pain more on the outer right side and at the back of knee.

Consultant suggested a knee arthroscopy to examine the defect. After arthroscopy he advised that "The defect is filled with scar tissues and cartilage is seating on the top. He thought about bone graft but believes that it might not improve current situation. He recommended removal of hardware". So as per the advise the hardware was removed. After the removal of hardware I had a further appointment with him during which I told him that there is still persistent pain to which he advise try and build it slowly and we can review it in 6months down the line. He also said that the bone graft might not stay and may collapse, hence he was not in favour of it.

At the moment after 2 and half years after the incident, I still got persistent pain. I tried running but I am still limping during a run. Recently, I noticed that because of bad right leg my left is also getting affected.

I have attached XRAY which clearly shows the defect.I would appreciate if someone could advise or are aware of treatment options e.g. bone graft, bone plugs etc. It will be also helpful if someone could point me to an expert consultant who has dealt with these type of situations.Also, it will be great to get some advise from people who have successfully overcome this kind of situation, what exercise could help and how to regain more strength.

Thank you.

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
Re: Tibial Plateau Fracture with defect
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 11:45:46 PM »
That's a nice hole you got there...

I can't give you advice, but perhaps you might want to listen to what this doctor has to say about it... it is mostly about cartilage, but in one part he shows results on a case like yours of a big piece of missing bone.

Go to my last post in this thread (December 13) and watch the video there:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=64362.msg623704#new