Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Slip worries, ice & snow  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Slippyknee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
  • LK dislocation, lcl laxity, pcl torn twice,
Slip worries, ice & snow
« on: December 27, 2014, 08:34:34 AM »
Hi everyone & merry Xmas 🎄
The 1st snow has arrived,  I love the snow & crispness of winter
But am now worried about slipping & damaging my already
Damaged left knee,😷
I went out with my dog this morning all was ok, but I just
Couldn't get out of my head reinjuring myself.
I slipped last Feb & tore my mcl,
I already have a weak lcl & pcl!!
I've not used my brace for a while now but in this weather
It's going to be used all the time.

Anyone else out there with or have had knee injuries
Feeling apprehensive @ the moment? 

All the best
Barry
LK dislocation,  cartlege trim, 20% lateral meniscus removed
Lcl laxity,  pcl tears, mcl tear

Offline WeenietheWarriorPrinces

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
Re: Slip worries, ice & snow
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 12:34:30 AM »
Barry,
  Absolutely!!! I had microfracture surgery in June. It failed. I had an OATS procedure the week before Thanksgiving. I am still on crutches! Yes I have a fear of failing on the ice and snow. I think once you realize what it takes to recover for injuries you will always have that thought in the back of your mind. Thankfully I have been super careful and take it really slow! Good luck!
Weenie the Warrior Princess
Left knee:
6/2012 Arthroscope w/ debridment, and plica removal
3/2013 Microfracture of MFC & patella and lateral release
6/2014 Microfracture MFC (same spot as last time, was damaged in a car accident)(infection week after & ultimately a failed surgery)
11/2014 OATS(autograft) MFC

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 09:34:34 AM »
Yes, I must say that I am scared often... I am always watching where I put my feet to avoid slippery ice.

I had problems before with crutches on wet floor, almost got a serious injury while recovering from surgery. Now I am not moving with crutches, but still... I do pay serious attention to the condition of the floor.

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 01:15:04 PM »
Barry ~ I can sympathize. Invest in a pair of Yaktrax for safety walking when the ground is icy.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 03:44:03 PM »
I injured my right knee on black ice on Friday 25th January 2013 while walking and fell hard on my knee and hip. The hip seems to be ok now itís the knee thatís not improving at the moment and have been taking 500mg Naprosyn tablets twice a day and not making much difference and still having pain and swelling at the bottom of the kneecap. I cannot run still as the whole of the bottom knee hurts as soon as I try to run or walk faster.

I spoke to the Chairman of Droitwich AC yesterday and said he needs to know by the end of the week if I can take part still in the Droitwich Half Marathon on Sunday 3rd March so another member can take my place and happen to be runner 13 in the year 2013 so seems to be bad luck for me as I was one of the top runners at the Club and will be annoyed if I have to cancel the half marathon.

Been to Droitwich Knee Clinic to ask for an cortisone injection and will not give me one unless I see an OS that cost money as I not insured at the moment and are concerned that I may damage my knee further if I run 13.1 miles.

Should I be sensible and give my place to another member of Droitwich AC as what I do not want to see happening is cancel it then 2 weeks before marathon can run ok again so is a gamble to cancel so early. I am seeing my GP Friday so will see what he advises me to do.

[email protected]

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=61608.msg596012#msg596012

It is coming up to 2 years the day when I managed to slip on black ice while I was walking and at the time was trying to be extra cautious by not running long distance during the cold icy conditions! I step out of my mumís house and only walked 20 yards and slip directly onto my right knee that had scope#1 back then!

Since January 25th 2013 I have no longer been able run again and then had to have AIR procedure done during scope#2 that has made my right knee worse rather then better. I do find that I now get more paranoid and anxious when I was walking a few days ago when all the pavements where white with ice.

My 1st injury was also caused by a fall when the weather conditions were ok on a dry warm autumn morning when I tripped over my shoelace that came undone, so now do a triple knot or shorten the shoelaces with a pair of scissors.

Barry I can also fully sympathise with you and everyone else that have posted on your topic of discussion by beong extra cautious in icy conditions!

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline HoppyMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 08:44:32 PM »
Hi Barry - I am working my way off crutches after an allograft late November and have been waiting and worried about ice too.  I live in the states near Philadelphia and so far, it has been an easy winter.  But as I say that, I did just order a pair of Yaktraks F8&qid=1420403542&sr=8-1&keywords=pro+yaktrax after reading your post ::)
I know they will look horrible but I have had a few falls on crutches - no damage but really scary and would not want to fall again!

FYI - A few years ago we lived in Chicago and my 6'3" 200+ lb husband was walking our old 20 pound cocker spaniel early one morning.  He slipped on some black ice and broke 3 ribs - please be careful!

Offline Slippyknee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 01:36:48 PM »
I know what you mean with crutches,
Especially when it's wet!! I had a few falls with mine
Luckily no damage was done,  I was in plaster @ the time so I think
That stopped me damaging my knee again.
The ice round here has gone for now!! 
Still being very careful as it's been a bit frosty
In the morning when taking my dog out and don't want the dog
Pulling me over 😀 hope you get off your crutches soon
& the knee starts coming along.
It's always hard getting off the crutches though as you start
Getting used to them mentally. 
Good luck
Barry

Offline Slippyknee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 07:12:45 PM »
Hi happy mom, I've just been to the outdoors shop
Near me looking for yaktrax,  sold out!!
They said they'd have some in by weekend 😀
I'm going to get a pair incase the snow comes back.

They should make them for crutches 😀
Take care
Barry

Offline HoppyMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 07:16:47 PM »
Barry - try Amazon. You can get them delivered in a few days.  Good luck!

Offline Heidi S

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 9
  • Now for wrath, now for ruin & the red dawn! Forth!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 09:58:02 PM »
Hi Barry,
I am new here (and new to my injury) - but I can absolutely relate - my injury was 12/2/14, I slipped on some icy pavement (thought it was a puddle/wasn't paying attention) and broke my patella & tore the patellar tendon, requiring surgery :( 
I live in the Seattle area where it rarely snows or gets icy but we had an unusual cold snap right after Thanksgiving. 
I am now so paranoid about walking around (in an immobilizer & crutches) and worry about slipping on just all the wet surfaces, as it's rainy here (!) - I can imagine I'll just avoid going out period if it gets cold enough to be icy again this winter!
I really appreciate you posting this because I had never heard of "yaktrax" before so now I know about it and will be looking into them (for next year and forever, I'm guessing)...
Good luck with your healing/recovery and thanks again! 
Heidi
12/2/14:  Fractured L. Patella, tore P. Tendon
12/9/14:  ORIF Surgery + repair p. tendon
12/23/14: PWB on crutches
1/5/15:  ROM 65
1/14/15: ROM 70
1/23/15: ROM 90
2/3/15: ROM 105; stationary bike
2/11/15: ROM 114; first steps!
3/3/15: ROM 121
3/24/15: ROM 132

Offline HoppyMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 10:42:28 PM »
Hey Barry - the do make something for crutches! http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-Prong-Grip-Crutch-Attachment/dp/B0009STN2E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421015847&sr=8-1&keywords=crutch+spikes  I am down to one crutch @50% weight bearing so I think I will skip it but if I was non-weight bearing this time of year, I think I would be ordering a pair!  Good luck!

Offline Slippyknee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 07:41:42 AM »
With those on your crutches,  people would definitely stay out of
Your way😀😀 glad your getting off the crutches now hoppy
Mom, it won't be long before you're off them completely & start to
Get back to normal 😀 or as normal as possible with a knee injury.
I got some yaktrax on Saturday ready for if the snow comes back😀
My brace is also required if it goes slippy again.  Hopefully
I won't need it😀

Sorry to hear about your knee injury Heidi,  its terrible when it 1st
Happens, got to be really careful @1st with being on crutches
Hope you feel more confident soon 😀
Take care
Barry

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 09:36:43 PM »
Hey Barry - the do make something for crutches! http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-Prong-Grip-Crutch-Attachment/dp/B0009STN2E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421015847&sr=8-1&keywords=crutch+spikes  I am down to one crutch @50% weight bearing so I think I will skip it but if I was non-weight bearing this time of year, I think I would be ordering a pair!  Good luck!

That is one hell of a weapon of self defense  ;D nobody will mess with you ;)

Now seriously, crutches slipping is one part of the problem, the other is your foot slipping as well. That solves one of the problems only... but in icy pavements (if and when possible - life is not always that simple), avoidance could be the best option...