Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Mcl Tear, Sprain or nothing?  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Jibskier

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Mcl Tear, Sprain or nothing?
« on: January 08, 2015, 01:49:30 PM »
I was skiing yesterday when I hit a box that had a screw sticking a little to high on it and my back foot got caught on it and bent inwards. I felt a sudden moderate rush of pain that quickly subsided. I got up and ski a little more and went into the lodge. In the lodge the pain picked up slightly. It was dull pain inside of the knee on the inner side. I knew it was the mcl. I iced it on my way home and when I got home there was little to no pain. The only time I noticed slight pain was when walking up steps. The next day I woke up with no pain. I could walk, stand one footed on the leg and even jump with little pain. But the Knee does feel slightly weird and off. It feels a little loose and slightly weak.  The reason why I am scared is because a lot of people say Mcl tears are not very noticable. Am I overeacting or is this a Mcl injury?

Offline KP1708

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Mcl Tear, Sprain or nothing?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 06:06:14 AM »
Ruptured acl,pcl,lcl,mcl,PLC,it band,patella tendon, torn medial and latterarl meniscus and 8 months on crutches with dislocated knee.

Update: PCL reconstruction with an external FIXATOR failed the night the fixator was removed (6weeks after surgery).
Doctor gave up and said he would only do a TKR. Got another opinion and he suggested the same.
Got a Stryker triathlon TS(total stability) TKR, 2 weeks on crutches, 1 week with a cane then walking without any brace or pain. Peroneal nerve damage may explain the absence of pain, motor nerves work fine, sensory nerves not working at all.
I am walking without a limp, have not tried to run, but can ride a bicycle.
The TS takes the place of all 4 main ligaments, and has a rom of 135* , I'm at 120 due to a lot of scar tissue.
But got my life back!!!

Offline TheEbae

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
  • 2 Corinthians 12:9-10
Re: Mcl Tear, Sprain or nothing?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 07:48:01 PM »
I would say that it is likely an MCL sprain, especially given that you didn't feel or hear the classic "pop" sensation that is so common with most knee tears. My MCL sprain took 8 weeks to heal. Then I had the plica and plica scar tissue problems, but you shouldn't have that issue. I would definitely see an OS, though, just to be sure. They should have a pretty good idea of what is wrong after a physical exam. Probably no need for an MRI unless one of those tests suggest a tear of anything. :)

Good luck, and stay patient! It's a slow and long road, but it DOES heal! PT is hard and frustrating, but worth it.

EBae
~The EBae~

11-12-14 MCL sprain
12-08-14 Plica Syndrome diagnosis
2-24-15 Plica and scar tissue removal surgery
4-20-15 Patellar Tendonitis onset