Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Torn meniscus and ACL Debridement  (Read 1046 times)

Offline roiyair

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Torn meniscus and ACL Debridement
« on: January 08, 2015, 04:13:58 AM »
Hi,
Today I've had the second procedure on my right knee. 6 years ago I tore it playing football, and had it reconstructed (Patellar graft). I've had a very good recovery, resuming action after 6 months. I went back to playing football, joined the army, served in the infantry and everything was fine. Or so I thought.

Two weeks ago I injured the knee playing basketball. The MRI revealed a torn medial meniscus (bucket handle tear). The procedure was done this morning. I haven't had the opportunity to speak to the Dr. myself yet, but the nurse told me that other than the surgery, there was also a debridement on the ACL.

The person who accompanied me to the procedure told me the Doctor told her "there was damage to the ACL" She also said she understood from him that it will require surgery.

I'm just trying to understand what's going on and what are the implications of debridement on a graft?
The Internet so far hasn't been of great help... Would appreciate any help. I'm seeing the Dr. tomorrow for an evaluation but would like to know what's going on before I get there (and am really impatient anyway. I am really not excited to go through rehab again, and believe me, I busted my ass like crazy last time).

Thanks in advance
Roi

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Torn meniscus and ACL Debridement
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 06:06:20 AM »
Debridement usually means that they tidy the affected area up because the area has become ragged in some way or another. I've seen before and after pictures of the articular cartilage in my knee where a debridement has been necessary - before the surfaces were very ragged, as if fronds of weed were growing out of the surfaces. Afterwards the same surfaces were smooth as they are supposed to be.

For an ACL it would imply that some of the fibres have detached and were possibly hanging free. The debridement would mean that these have been tidied up. How much of the ACL he has has to trim back is what the doctor will tell you. If there was a lot of cleaning up to do it could be that what is left is seriously compromised and perhaps a new graft is a better long term solution for you if you are to remain so active.

Wait and see what the surgeon tells you and then ask what they suggest as the next stage. There are several of us here who have had ACL revisions for one reason or another. Personally I found the rehab much easier most of the time.

;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

support