Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Recent ACL reconstruction and lateral menisectomy right knee  (Read 543 times)

Offline Pepsi13

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recent ACL reconstruction and lateral menisectomy right knee
« on: January 07, 2015, 01:44:33 PM »
Hi
On Monday 5th January I had a an ACL reconstruction using my hamstring tendons and lateral menisectomy. The hospital never gave me advice on progress and what pain I may feel for the next couple of weeks im not seeing a nurse or physio till at least the 19th. Can anyone give me advice on what sort of progress I should be making im current trying to move my knee as much as possible can't quite get to 90 degrees yet and definitely can't fully straighten it. Painkillers aren't really touching it so I try and get it into most comfortable position. Is the lack of movement and pain normal should I keep it elevated as much as possible etc just looking for some reassuring advice.
Thanks
Emma

Offline alex92

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Recent ACL reconstruction and lateral menisectomy right knee
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 07:56:00 AM »
Hey Emma,

I had a knee reconstruction on 10th December so I was 4 weeks post-op yesterday. I had a ruptured ACL, sprained LCL, damaged medial and lateral meniscus and bone bruising. In the operation I had my ACL replaced with LARS ligament + hamstring, and some of the meniscus had to be removed (irrepairable). 

My progress was as below:
First 2 weeks: very painful, my leg was stuck at about 5 degree bend and could not move it at all. Even if someone else tried to move it I would scream in pain. At the 2 week mark I was about 30 degree bend.
3-4 weeks: Pain decreased, went from 30 degree bend to 85 degrees. Went from being able to put about 30% of my weight on it to about 75%.

Sounds like you're doing awesome compared to em but I think I had more damage.

I found it was helpful to have my leg elevated and ice helped more with the pain than any painkillers could. I had ice on it almost all the time. Also I've seen 2 physios and both told me if you can straighten it, it's easy to get it bent. But if you bend it, it's hard to get it straight, so whenever you're lying down you should keep it as straight as possible (heel up on 1-2 pillows if possible). Then try and bend it when you do your exercises.

Hope this helps! Best of luck

Offline Pepsi13

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Recent ACL reconstruction and lateral menisectomy right knee
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 12:07:44 PM »
Hi thankyou for that. I did my knee nearly five month ago I had a microfracture of the tibia plateau and sprain my outside ligament on top of all this so have been waiting for the fracture to fully heal before they did the op. I just want to make sure I progress at the right speed but I understand this isn't something I can rush as can cause more damage.
I'm currently exercises and icing quite constantly as the painkillers aren't doing much for me. Pretty much sticking to my bed this first week I am walking around on it with crutches when I need but don't want to push to much
Thanks