Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post Knee Reconstruction - Advice?  (Read 694 times)

Offline alex92

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Post Knee Reconstruction - Advice?
« on: January 07, 2015, 02:45:38 AM »
Hi guys,

I had a knee reconstruction on 10th December so I'm 4 weeks post-op today. I had a ruptured ACL, sprained LCL, damaged medial and lateral meniscus and bone bruising. In the operation I had my ACL replaced with LARS ligament + hamstring, and some of the meniscus had to be removed (irrepairable).

The first few weeks were hell but I'm finally making progress - I can bend my leg from about 5 degrees to 85 degrees. I'm currently transitioning from 2 crutches to 1 crutch but I'm pretty slow on 1 crutch and can only put about 70% of my weight on my right leg. My surgeon advised yesterday that I can do open chain exercises.

I've been doing plenty of exercises to work my quads and hamstrings, as well as using a TENS machine. For some reason my quads don't flex when I walk though - is this normal? When I step on my left leg I can feel my quads tensed, but my right leg is just soft when I step on it.

When lying down, I can lift my right leg up. Also if I put a rolled up towel under my knee, I can lift my foot up and straighten my leg using my quads so I've definitely got them working.

I tried using an exercise bike yesterday but could only get through about 70% of the motion - I read that you need 95 degrees bend in your knee to do a full rotation so I'm getting close.

Any other advice for strengthening the quad and getting it working while walking? Also any advice for getting it fully straight?

Also, do you think I should be okay to drive? When did you start driving post op?

Cheers

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 206
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Post Knee Reconstruction - Advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 11:19:02 AM »
WElcome to KneeGuru

Two bits of advice for you -

Don`t drive until your OS/PT gives you the OK, otherwise you could invalidate your car insurance.

Suggest that you go onto amazon and purchase a floor cycle - then you can sit in your chair at home and pedal away.

Sleep with a pillow between your knees.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline alex92

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 07:48:48 AM »
Hey John,
Thanks for the advice.

I was walking on 1 crutch all day today (still can't hold all my weight on my right leg) which is good but I haven't been able to improve my RoM in the last few days. Still stuck between about 5 degrees and 85 degrees bend. I'm buying a recumbent exercise bike tomorrow and I need 95 degrees before I can do a full rotation.

Any tips for getting my leg fully straight and getting more bend?

Cheers!

Offline mjeffrey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 06:48:11 PM »
I used to hang a weight (divers weight belt) from my ankle while lying on my back and let it slowly sag for some minutes, rest and repeat. For extension you could do the same with your leg straight out resting on a chair. Put the weight on the leg and let it stretch slowly.
It's a nice controlled way to get a long comfortable stretch. Adjust the weight as you can tolerate more.
2014:
20 Feb: Comminuted patella fracture, 4 K-wires, Cercalge, Figure of 8
11 Mar: Staples removed Flex 50
22 Apr: Control Xray, flex 80, progress stalled
09 May: MUA: flex 120, 3 weeks CPM
23 Jun: Slow Running, Flex 135
06 Jul: Flex 140
08 Aug: Hardware removed
10 Sep: full flexion