Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tips on Tibial Plateau Fracture Recovery?  (Read 625 times)

Offline Deeptrax

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Tips on Tibial Plateau Fracture Recovery?
« on: January 05, 2015, 04:05:53 PM »
Hiya, I shattered my left tibial plateau last 12 Nov 2014 and also broke (2 splits) the tibia shaft slightly below plateau. External fixator (frame) with 12 pins through and around knee joint was applied and I am hopefully seeing the last 4 weeks of this invasive hardware. My main concern is gaining full ROM, as one would. The frame limits full flex and a total straight leg is also a challenge due to remaining muscles trauma from surgery, causing the back of the knee to feel like a rock, at best of time, let alone the expected overall knee joint stiffness. I am looking for a tool to help increase ROM and was after any tips on those. I could use any other tips just as well, on general knee joint recovery and methods on building up all leg muscles again.
Cheers, Pierre

Offline mjeffrey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 52
Re: Tips on Tibial Plateau Fracture Recovery?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 06:44:22 PM »
Hi Deeptrax

I suggest your post in the bone breaks section http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=21.0. Lots of people with TPF there but none with an external fixator afaik.

If you do a search on ROM you'll find a lot of ideas. I personally found a CPM machine (hired for 4 weeks) very useful and although they are not specifically meant for increasing ROM I found it gave a good controlled stretch once every 90 seconds. You need to dedicate a lot of time for this, I did 7 hours weekends and 2-3 during evenings.

I also hired a stationary bike which was good. I found hanging a weight from my ankle, lying on my back and letting it slowly stretch was a good low impact way to improve ROM as well.
Personally I found a PT pushing on the leg wasn't helpful, I preferred to be in control. The traditional ankle slides weren't a big help for me either.

p.s. I woud be interested to hear about your experiences with the external fixator, they look like medieval torture devices! Why did they use it in your case? Do they need open surgery to fit one? Can you move about with them and were you at home? What are the pros and cons, I guess you won't need an op to remove the hardware :)?

cheers
Mark
2014:
20 Feb: Comminuted patella fracture, 4 K-wires, Cercalge, Figure of 8
11 Mar: Staples removed Flex 50
22 Apr: Control Xray, flex 80, progress stalled
09 May: MUA: flex 120, 3 weeks CPM
23 Jun: Slow Running, Flex 135
06 Jul: Flex 140
08 Aug: Hardware removed
10 Sep: full flexion