Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Surgery Prep Advice needed  (Read 4616 times)

Offline HoppyMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
Re: Surgery Prep Advice needed
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 03:42:24 AM »
If any of you that have shared advice are still following this thread...

I go for surgery tomorrow.  Thanks to all of your advice; I have my cryo-cuff ready to go, the freezer is filled with food and ice, a shower seat and toilet lift are waiting for my return from the hospital, my crutches are all decked out with bright floral crutcheez.  Now, let's just hope my surgeon is ready too!  Thanks again for all of your help and encouragement.
Li

Offline hopalong2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 04:20:56 AM »
Good luck!  Sending lots of good wishes your way.

Offline WeenietheWarriorPrinces

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 11:25:14 AM »
I just had OATS with an autograph on 11/21/14. Once the nerve block wore off the pain has been crazy! 😢 just want to say your not alone out there! Good luck healing!
Weenie the Warrior Princess
Left knee:
6/2012 Arthroscope w/ debridment, and plica removal
3/2013 Microfracture of MFC & patella and lateral release
6/2014 Microfracture MFC (same spot as last time, was damaged in a car accident)(infection week after & ultimately a failed surgery)
11/2014 OATS(autograft) MFC

Offline HoppyMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 09:45:16 PM »
Thanks hopalong2 and weeinethewarrior princess -
It has been two weeks today and I am doing much better.  Like weenieTWP,  once my nerve block wore off, I was a mess.  I know the advice was to stay ahead of the pain but I could not even catch up for the first few days post surgery.  By day 4, everything changed. Switched from oxycodone + Tylenol to norco and felt much better. Honestly I am not sure if it was the change in meds or the passage of time but everything was better, less pain, no nausea, more alert.

Best pre-surgery advice - stock up on ice! - the cryo cuff is a great help but it goes through ice quickly.  I used the cuff nearly non-stop for the first week.

Love my crutcheez but the tops can be slippery.  The little bag is incredibly useful to carrying a water bottle or my phone, I helped my daughters set the dinner table yesterday by caring the silverware to the table in the crutcheez bag.

Getting bored of the CPM machine but I have it now set at 120 and during physical therapy today I got my knee to a 135 angle so, I am feeling pretty good about rehab.  As I am feeling better, I am a little anxious about 4 more weeks on crutches.

I have taken nothing but Aleve today for the first time.  If I can avoid narcotics for another day, I will be ok to drive.  While it will be great to get out and about, I still won't be able to carry much or do simple things like push a grocery cart until I get rid of the crutches.

Weenie... I hope you are feeling better too!
Hopalong2 I hope your recovery is still going well
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:09:25 AM by HoppyMom »

Offline hopalong2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 02:19:54 AM »
Thanks for the update Hoppymom.  Since you didn't mention the surgery specifically, I assume that it was uneventful, which is great news.  I can relate to what you said about the CPM machine, as I used one after my microfracture surgery last year.  I would talk to the surgeon about it next visit.  If you're healing well, with good range of motion, your surgeon may allow you to discontinue the CPM.  My understanding is that the current research does not support the use of CPMS, and many surgeons (including mine) no longer order them post op for osteochondral allograft patients. 
And Weenie, good luck to you as well!

Offline mjeffrey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 07:43:43 AM »
Seems there is some benefit from cpm for knee replacement.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0012655/
2014:
20 Feb: Comminuted patella fracture, 4 K-wires, Cercalge, Figure of 8
11 Mar: Staples removed Flex 50
22 Apr: Control Xray, flex 80, progress stalled
09 May: MUA: flex 120, 3 weeks CPM
23 Jun: Slow Running, Flex 135
06 Jul: Flex 140
08 Aug: Hardware removed
10 Sep: full flexion

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 08:54:09 PM »
EDIT: I replied without seeing there was a second page and the surgery had already taken place.

Either way, I am happy things are going well and that your ROM is good too.

So best of luck and hope all goes well!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:56:46 PM by MDAL »

Offline HoppyMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 04:02:32 AM »
Although I am bored and frustrated sitting in the CPM so many hours -- I do have to say I feel better and looser after a few hours in the thing.  The more often I use the machine, the longer it takes for my knee to get stiff afterwards.  I have nothing to lose but time by doing it - and I've been catching up on lots of TV  :D

Meanwhile - I finally drove my car this weekend 2 1/2 weeks after surgery! Completely off the meds and it was great to get out.  My little secret is that what was even more fun than driving my car was using the electric cart at the grocery store!

Offline WeenietheWarriorPrinces

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2015, 12:29:19 AM »
Thanks for the well wishes! Hope you're doing well Hoppymom and hopalong2. This surgery is most certainly kicking my butt! I've had two previos microfractures to the same spot. I try way harder in pt and am getting less results in my ROM. (my incision is a adhering to the tissue under it😁) I am at 97* flextion. I would love to be 135* this point in recovery. I have never used a CPM machine in recovery. It doesn't help I have a weird bruise like but not a bruise spot on the medial side of my knee. My surgeon and not of the other medical people that have seen it know what it is. (He offered to write it up in a medical journal. I'll hold out for my 15 minutes of game somewhere else.) I'm starting the weightbearing process. 25% for the next two weeks. I'm ready to be off the crutches!(I have been on them since the last microfracture surgery that was 6/6/14.) Hoppymom have you started the weightbearing process yet?
Weenie (theWarrior Princess)
Left knee:
6/2012 Arthroscope w/ debridment, and plica removal
3/2013 Microfracture of MFC & patella and lateral release
6/2014 Microfracture MFC (same spot as last time, was damaged in a car accident)(infection week after & ultimately a failed surgery)
11/2014 OATS(autograft) MFC

Offline hopalong2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 08:12:28 PM »
Weenie, you poor thing!  I've been lucky not to experience adhesions, but I've seen others struggle with them.  (A much younger friend really struggled to regain range of motion after complicated cartilage surgery and is now playing Div. 1 sports.)  Might you be pushing too hard in PT?  You must have lost a lot of muscle after being on crutches for so long. My PT was extremely conservative until after the 5-month mark, and we're still being very careful.  At your stage, even though I wanted to work hard and my insurance would have covered regular PT sessions, I was sent home with a sheet of simple exercises (heel slides, quad sets, straight leg raises) and told that my primary task was to protect the graft.

Offline HoppyMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 08:26:19 PM »
Hi Weenie!  Sorry to hear about your troubles.  Be patient!  Can they fix the adhesions with massage therapy or worse case with arthroscopic surgery? FYI while I am ahead of schedule my Dr.'s goal was to have my ROM at 110 at this point.  You may want to ask about a CPM machine.  I know people here sound skeptical but I think it has really helped in my case.

Things are going pretty well for me.  I am also 25% weight bearing this week.  50% next week, 75% the week after and finally no crutches!!!  This is really an inexact thing and I know I am over doing it. 

I have started "walking" with crutches rather than hopping - I am going much faster but it is really hard to tell how much weight I am actually putting on my leg.  Both my PT and the PA at my doctor's office suggested putting my bad leg on a scale and putting pressure on until it displays 25% of my weight but it is really not something that sticks in my memory.

I have also been given the go ahead for stationary bike with little or no resistance, quad sets with light ankle weights and aqua therapy!

I spent 20 minutes on a bike at my PT's office - it felt great to be in motion!  I came home and ordered an inexpensive bike on Amazon.  I really feel like I have been sitting on my behind way too long.

I love my PT but he does not have a pool.  My current prescription is for PT 2-3 x / week for another 4 - 6 weeks so I am going for an assessment tomorrow for a place with a pool.  My insurance will allow me to use multiple providers so my plan is to continue with my current therapist 2x/week and hit the water once a week.  I can't wait to get into a pool and walk without crutches.

I am still very numb in the area around my knee.  I expect that will go away in time.  I have had a few bad days where my knee will swell up and ache but it is has always been after a day when I have been on my feet/foot too much.    Now that I am weight bearing, my right calf (the bad leg) seems to get really sore easily.  I am not sure if this is because it has been dormant for the past 6 weeks or if I am walking oddly and stressing it somehow but a little ice and rest seem to make it better.  All-in-all, I would say I am doing great and have been very lucky with my progress.  Of course a shout out to my Doctor, Kevin Freedman - who has put me back together again! http://www.rothmaninstitute.com/physicians/kevin-freedman-md

Offline HoppyMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 09:08:51 PM »
Hopalong2 I got your message but when I try to reply, I keep getting errors.  I will try again over the the next few days.  Yes, we are neighbors!  I live in Merion Station.  I would love to meet for coffee or in a few weeks for a (short) walk  :)

Thanks for reaching out.  I will try again soon.

Best,

Li

Offline mjeffrey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 05:41:21 AM »
You need 2 or 3 more posts to be able to send a pm. It is either 20 or 21 to discourage spammers. People suggest posting in the fun sections....
2014:
20 Feb: Comminuted patella fracture, 4 K-wires, Cercalge, Figure of 8
11 Mar: Staples removed Flex 50
22 Apr: Control Xray, flex 80, progress stalled
09 May: MUA: flex 120, 3 weeks CPM
23 Jun: Slow Running, Flex 135
06 Jul: Flex 140
08 Aug: Hardware removed
10 Sep: full flexion