Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Worried about my knees..  (Read 895 times)

Offline KneeHelpPlease

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Worried about my knees..
« on: December 31, 2014, 11:44:51 AM »
Hi KneeGuru!

I have a question about exercising and my knees.

I'm male, 20 years of age, about 5'5-5'6 and 125 lbs maybe.

During my (still ongoing) month long vacation, I started exercising every other day, and on some occasions, on a daily basis.

Now here's my concern. Sometimes during or after the exercise, I feel something on the upper part of my knee when I put my weight on that knee. It's not on my kneecap specifically, I'm not sure if it's my quadriceps either, but it's somewhere in between those.

I can't describe it as pain, I can't even call it a discomfort. It's really very mild, I'm not sure if this is normal and has been happening to me before as well, but I only noticed it now. It's more of a "tickle" inside, I really can't describe it.

I don't feel anything when my legs are relaxed, and I can stretch and bend it back anytime with no problems at all. The only time that I feel it is when I intentionally put pressure on the knees.

The feeling went away this morning too, it seems that it only lasts a day or a few hours when it happens (usually the day after the exercise)

When should I be worried? What could this be? Normal strain? I'm just afraid that I might be doing damage to my knees that could be adding up, and being completely unaware of it. What kind of pain would I be feeling if it was an injury?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really concerned about my knees because I want to keep on exercising too.

For reference, here's the link to the workout : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx61Mpn7uzg
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:08:08 PM by KneeHelpPlease »

Offline MDAL

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 108
Re: Worried about my knees..
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 12:09:49 PM »
Your description is so subjective and sounds so vague, like a very mild tickling sensation after exercise which you are not even sure where it is but appears to be in the quad tendon that connects the patella to the muscles...

Not sure what to say, but probably it's just blood flowing into the zone giving a warming sensation following the exercise?

If you have no pain, no discomfort and no stiffness, I suppose there isn't much to worry about...

Offline KneeHelpPlease

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 01:51:14 PM »
I'm sorry for being very vague, I guess it's because I myself cannot describe what it actually was. It's not pain, if anything, it feels more like a very very mild case of muscle strain to me. Anyway, I exercised again earlier and did not feel any discomfort at all.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys more.

Thank you!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 375
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 03:12:39 PM »
If concerned, find another exercise that does not impact your knees, swimming, cycling (as long as the bike is set up right for you), crosstrainer.  Squats and lunges tend to place more pressure on the knees, especially if done with poor form

And don't forget to stretch all your muscles when finished exercising.

Also, take a day off a couple of times a week, rest your muscles, go for a walk or similar instead

If it continues, see a sports physiotherapist to check your knees and what you are doing exercise wise

:)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline KneeHelpPlease

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 03:33:08 PM »
Yep, I'm actually planning to start swimming soon. Thing is, all I can do now is this workout a few times a week.

But based on what I wrote, do you think that somethings going on? And like I said, I'm not feeling anything wrong anymore. It was very mild to begin with, almost nothing at all, and it's gone now.

Is it safe to assume that I'm fine for as long as I'm not feeling any pain, no swelling, no inflammation, and if I can move my knees/legs in a normal manner?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 03:41:22 PM by KneeHelpPlease »