Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patellar Rupture - Surgery and how I got here  (Read 4909 times)

Offline bkaplan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 16
Re: Patellar Rupture - Surgery and how I got here
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 03:13:57 AM »
Day 1 of PT - Goal is to get left knee with Patellar rupture surgery back to walking/running/jumping and right knee exercises to help strengthen and maybe prevent opposite knee patellar rupture.

The PT prescription was starting very very slow.  Unlock brace to 30degrees and do assisted flex about 100x.  I think the PT had more of a workout than I did.  But it was the first time my knee has bent like that in over a month so it felt pretty free.  I left with not much pain but within an hour after icing I had a bit of aching.

going to be a slow one.

Offline bkaplan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 04:40:17 AM »
Suppose it's time for an update...

6 weeks or 42 days since surgery...
I am going to PT 2 days a week and am doing 30 degree bends with the brace on in pt.
standing hamstring lifts and side lifts with brace.  Additionally strengthening the opposite knee to prevent other side patellar rupture.

I am walking without crutches at home.. While its actually against drs orders I have become annoyed by the crutches. 

I am having mild pain and swelling at night and during the day.  The feeling is primarily when I put weight on it.  It feels like tendonitis.

I have lost 15 lbs since surgery... I believe due to increased caloric deficit from crutches work, and lack of appetite which I can't quite pinpoint. 

I am no longer on any medications.

I have lost ability to sleep very well.  I began sleeping in a recliner in my living room as opposed to the bed.  I have realized that while sleeping I flex my quads... I believe its similar to TMJ and is an anxiety or stress thing during sleep.   When flexing the quad muscle it creates pain in the mornings that is unbearable.

Dr  Appointment is Tuesday next week.  - I am hoping that he will clear me for 60 degrees and ability to strength train the quad and hamstring.  In addition would like to remove crutches from my life.. But not sure if he would allow potential 100% weight on the knee with brace.

Will update after Tuesday.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 09:16:24 AM »
Hi Bkaplan   

Try and drop down to using a stick/cane instead of the crutches - should be safe after the six week mark.

Try sleeping with a pillow/cushion between your knees - takes a lot of the pain away - works wonders.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bkaplan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Patellar Rupture : Update 8 weeks
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 03:48:29 AM »
This Thursday marks 8 weeks post op from my Patellar Rupture in my left knee.

We had some snow here that has made life slightly difficult recently... No PT appointments and the Ice around here is pretty dangerous.  But I am free of crutches (2 weeks) and only use a cane when Im out for a while.

My flex is mostly open at about 50 degrees.. Though I should be at 60 by next week.

I do have pain intermittently.  I call them pings.. For some reason Ill just be sitting and suddenly a sharp pain comes and goes within like 2 mins.  But really everything seems pretty good.

No major news here aside from the fact that I am mostly back to normalcy.. with the exception of some inconveniences with the brace and lack of ability to drive.

I will be traveling a ton for work in the next few months, which slightly worries me about both PT and about the ability to sit on a plane for many hours.

Any ways.. Things are moving... Slow.. But Moving

Offline lamoncarter713

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 10:03:56 AM »
I feel your pain on the ER, when I ruptured my patellar tendon, my knee cap was sitting on top of my femur bone, and when they did x-rays they just put on a uncomfortable leg brace and sent me home until I could see a Othro, which took about 3 more days of agonizing pain, you couldn't  straightened your knee, I couldn't  bend my knee.
Complete ruptured patella tendon June 4, 2015
Patellar Tendon Surgery June 10, 2015
4 week Post OP

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 11:45:26 AM »
Hi Lamoncarter713

Welcome to the KneeGuru - however, you need to repost onto the official RPT thread on KneeGuru

Ruptured Patella Tendon Quadriceps tendon/Surgery - lots of buddies on there to give you good advice. 

How did you sustain your RPT injury?   Where do you live  I suggest that you look at the undermentioned thread - contains a collection of documents put together by KneeGuru and myself.

Take care and carry on posting.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline lamoncarter713

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 04:07:19 PM »
John42

how are you my friend, I put my whole story on the RPT surgery board for you.
Complete ruptured patella tendon June 4, 2015
Patellar Tendon Surgery June 10, 2015
4 week Post OP

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 04:51:54 PM »
Hi Lamoncarter713

Excellent