Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patellar Rupture - Surgery and how I got here  (Read 4986 times)

Offline bkaplan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 16
Patellar Rupture - Surgery and how I got here
« on: December 29, 2014, 10:38:26 PM »
Hello all,
I am a 35 year old male 6"3 240lbs.  In high school I was a soccer, basketball, hurdler, high jumper, and diver.  I often had jumpers knee and saw drs regularly.  I had gone through a bit of rehab and wore one of those strap braces when I played or jumped.  It seemed that it never really went away.  And at that time I thought it was just an injury from over doing it.   

After High School I stopped playing competitive sports and the daily pain from the tendonitis went away.  However I can recall every once in a while if I would jump to hard it would set me back a few more days and I would feel it again.

Well on December 20, 2014 I took my 3 year old daughter to the playground.  She's still too small to run around to get to slides by herself, so I always climb up with her and make sure she gets up to the slide and doesnt get trampled by the bigger kids.   So I climbed up and got her on the slide and climbed down a straight ladder to meet her at the bottom.  When I put my left leg on the ground i suddenly felt as though someone had taken a sledgehammer to my knee.  I hit the ground and looked at my leg and my knee cap had shifted to the side of my leg and my knee was bent and looked as though it was fully dislocated.

I looked up at a parent at the park and asked for help and they called an ambulance to take me to the hospital while they watched my child.  I was in agony, but had to pretend everything was perfectly fine, as I didnt want my child to freak out.

When I got to the ER they brought me to xray and gave me some IV drugs.  The doctor confirmed nothing was wrong with the bones and sent me home and referred me to an orthopedic dr to see in the next few days.

I will tell you at this point I knew something bad was going on in my knee, and was shocked that they let me go home.  There were indicators that my orthopedic saw that even shocked him.

I could not straighten my leg on my own and was in severe pain for several days until I got in to see the orthapedic dr.  Once I saw him he immediately sent me for an MRI to confirm his thoughts on a patellar rupture.

The MRI attached shows the full extent of the rupture and confirms that the cause was Chronic Tendonosis causing a diseased tendon to eventually snap.

last Friday December 26th, I had the surgery to suture the tendon back to the bone and am now on day 3 of recovery.

For the next 10 days is really about keeping my leg in the brace and straight.
I will update as I progress.

Offline randoknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 10
Re: Patellar Rupture - Surgery and how I got here
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 12:58:02 AM »
I feel your pain.  My original PT rupture was mis diagnosed by an ER Dr  as a sprained knee causing a contrary 2 week delay in the surgical repair.  18 months later when my patella snapped (probably a complication from the delayed repair) and I ended up back in the ER, the same Dr was on duty.  I told him of his prior f-up and that I had absolutely no confidence in his orthopedic expertise and that the on call ortho doc be consulted.   Best wishes with your recovery... It's an adventure.
12/08 L patellar tendon rupture (mush) -ORIF  -  8/10  fx of L patella  - 8/10 ORIF L Patella 9/10  dx patella alta  - 2/11 dx "delayed union" - 6/11  L knee scope / HW remvd.- 6/13  R Knee Scope - 11/13 R knee PFA - 6/14 Left knee PFA - 10/14 L Knee TTO- 11/16 L patellar tendon repair & augment

Offline bkaplan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 05:10:47 AM »
Thanks Randoknee!
Its truly amazing how they miss something like this in the ERs.  I understand they have to cycle people in and out to get to the dire emergencies.  But there were some obvious signs.

Best wishes!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 09:16:07 AM »
Hi Brian   

Got you now - you should have posted on Ruptured Patella Tendon/Surgery - but worth while looking at this wage page - lots of RPT patients to help you on the recovery road.

Suggest that open the underneath link - lots of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru covering your injury and the rehab process. 

Remember PATIENCE - keep posting and ASK questions

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bkaplan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 05:50:14 AM »
I Haven't done much keeping up on here through writing.  But I thought I would update.
I am now at Day 11 since surgery:
I have been home since I was discharged, which is starting to wear on my mind a bit.  Having 2 little little children, one baby that doesnt sleep well at night and a crazy 3 year old... and the most amazing wife in the world has been helpful on my soul...  But I worry most about my wife.. She has been taking care of 3 of us :) and working on no sleep.  Im trying as much as I can... but cant carry the baby and cant do much besides entertain and give moral support.

As far as the knee - Pain only really hurts at night.  Sleeping is miserable, Im a side sleeper and cant do that at all.  And after sleeping on my back and not moving my heel on my foot with the bad knee is sore.  Additionally I seem to have gotten restless leg or something because i find myself flexing my quads tight during sleep..And wake up in pain throughout the night.

However during the day the knee feels pretty good.  I bear 50-65% weight on it and can tell if Im doing to much and rest.

---I have another real worry in that my good knee is bothering me a ton... It too has patellar tendonosis and Ive been bearing all my weight and muscle on that leg that its starting to worry me that that one will go.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 06:44:00 AM »
Hi Brian

Sleep with a pillow/cushion between your knees - it works wonders

JohnK/ Mnchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bkaplan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 04:50:39 AM »
John, That was incredible advice!!  it has worked wonders!!! I slept amazingly last night.
Thanks!!!

Offline bkaplan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 04:56:53 AM »
Got my staples out today Day 13 post op.  Photo of before for fun attached.
The air on my skin felt great and getting out of the house was good too.
Also gave me a locking brace which has felt so much better than the other one.

Dr said 2 more weeks until I can start with a PT... But to start doing gentle foot flexing on my own and some quad flexing.  I had some weakness when pushing my foot against his hand and he wanted to be sure I was working on that.

So 2 weeks till PT.
then in 1 month we can unlock to 30degrees

Also will need to do PT for Right Knee tendonosis to try and prevent a bilateral.

Overall feeling pretty good

Offline madvillain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 203
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 05:17:55 AM »
You should be doing quad activations and kinetic chain stuff (situps) ASAP imo don't wait for formal PT.  Ankle pumps as well.   "Knee pulls" (knee cap dance!) is huge so you don't lose the neuromuscular effect.  Also, if the pain isn't too bad, try and get up and walk around as much as you can.

I am about to post a very detailed diary about my recovery through week 5 (36 days from surgery as of today).

Offline bkaplan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 05:30:18 AM »
Day 25 post op:
I know I havent really updated much here... But to be honest, not too much has really happened "Yet"
-I start rehab on Thursday of this week... Which is about 5 weeks from surgery.
-The incision has healed a ton and only itches like crazy -  I do get what I am calling Ghost Sharp Pains...
I am not sure if they are real or not, but I get these random sharp sharp pains that quickly come and go away.
- I have done a bit more than the doctor told me too as far as putting more weight on it and walking without crutches.. But when I feel ive done too much I quickly sit down and rest.   
 (If you have a 1 year old child its next to impossible to not try to protect them from self injury... thus injuring yourself :))
- I returned to work a week ago and feel pretty good during the day.. I have to elevate my leg at my desk and get up often to get blood flowing.
-I can now shower without any protection over the incision... Which is magical.

The difficult things at this stage are sleeping, and trying to not do everything.  Otherwise not a ton of pain, and well, not a ton of gain either.

------ I will note that since the injury I have lost 13 lbs... Mostly due to a change in diet and probably some loss of muscle.  But hey Ill take it.. It has been a motivation to care a bit more about myself realizing Im not exactly young anymore.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 09:45:09 AM »
Hi bkaplan

Sleep with a pillow/cushion between your knees - takes the pain away and a good nights sleep will follow

Take care and keep posting

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bkaplan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 03:58:28 AM »
Miserable day today.

I was unable to get a ride to work today so I drove myself which I probably shouldnt have, even though its my left leg... Its difficult to sit in the car with a straight left leg.. So it actually put a ton of tension and pain on my leg... It was torture.

Then I got to work and all the handicap and held spots were gone.. So I had to park on the 4th floor of the garage that has no elevator.  So I crutched down them.. and back up to get home.

I also think I way over did it on my "GOOD" knee.. Cause it is also killing me.

Miserable day.. Just painful.. the first one Ive had that was just purely aweful.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 07:20:44 AM »
Hi bkaplan

Did you move the drivers seat right back? it gives you that extra leg room - it is illegal to drive if you don`t have the OS approval to drive.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bkaplan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 04:03:59 AM »
Thanks John, yea the seat was back.  Understood about driving.  It definitely was a one-time thing.. and wont be doing that again till I can flex.

Offline bkaplan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 04:06:35 AM »
Stayed home today from work due to some pain from yesterday.  Also woke up and my foot on the surgery side was swollen like a balloon.  I called the dr and elevated and unwrapped and the swelling went down.

Additionally somehow I have developed Meralgia Paresthetica in the opposite side.  I think this may be either due to sleeping or maybe I have been walking funny with the crutches that caused it?  Its wierd because its completely numb.

Anyways I start PT tomorrow.  So updates should get more interesting.

support