Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Travel advice post surgery  (Read 669 times)

Offline RogerThat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Travel advice post surgery
« on: December 29, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »
Merry Christmas All.

After a motorbike accident on the 8th of December I had a meniscus root and medial repair on the 13th and a subsequent pcl and pl reconstruction on the 16th in Bumrungrad Hospital Bangkok. I am scheduled to fly to Australia on the 1st Of jan approx. 9 hours flight time. Doctor says ok, mind says ok, body says maybe not ok at all.

I've upgraded to business class. Any suggestions on how to make the trip ok, is this a trip I should hold off on? Traveling a few hours in a car sucks right now. I'm concerned about mental and physical health by the end of the flight.

Appreciate any advice.

Offline guam

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 3
  • I hate knee problems
    • for anything fokai
Re: Travel advice post surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 12:06:45 PM »
I flew a total of 15 hours in economy by myself and had 6 hours of layover flying from dallas-lax-honolulu-guam 4 days after an HTO.  Doc said I shouldn't fly for 10 days, but I didn't want to spend Christmas away from anyone I knew.  My leg was so swollen and I was on crutches.  was in excruciating pain the whole time, but I made it home safe.  biggest thing i worried about was blood clotting, but I just took some blood thinners and I was fine.  Didn't take any pain killers though.  It was killing my stomach to take those.  And you're in business class, so hopefully, you're able to put your feet up.  that will make a huge difference as opposed to my economy seating. 
9/2007: diagnosis: discoid lat. meniscus with tear-rk
10/2007: part. lat. menisectomy-rk.- failure
5/2008: fix previous surgery
2/2010: diagnosed with discoid lat. meniscus with tear-lk
5/2010: partial lat. meniscectomy-lk
11/2011: scope on rt. knee. diagnosis: varus knee
12/2011: HTO

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 206
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 12:50:01 PM »
Hi RogerThat

Yes - don`t take the humble route - request wheel chair assistance on arrival at airport check in and likewise wheel chair assistance at destination - they treat you like royalty - and don`t refuse -
try and obtain a front seat in the plane - more leg room - best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline RogerThat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »
Dear Guam & John, thank you for your advice and experience. Guam you make me sound like a pussy!  What a big effort to get amongst your friends and family. Painkillers and I are getting along well and I will have a anti-clotting injection day before the flight so will be in a bit of comfort compared to your 15 hours of discomfort. John I'll be flying with my wife and 10 week old baby so I'm expecting the red carpet from the airline, wheelchair onto the plane, priority access through immigration and will be requesting aisle 1 in business class. Thanks again for your input.

Guam I'll think of your experience Anytime I think to complain.

Happy new year to you both.

Offline hopalong2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 02:07:59 PM »
I flew alone cross country (US) 6 days after an osteochodral allograft transplant a few months ago.  Make sure to request the wheelchairs ahead of time.  I'd also suggest having several zip lock plastic freezer bags in your carryon bag to make it easier to get ice while on board (or in your hotel).  Also plenty of small bills to tip the people who help you out in the airports.  And percocet.  Finally, don't let them put your crutches too far from you if you'll need them on board.  Good luck!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 206
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 02:58:59 PM »
Best of luck and a short note when you arrive home

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon