Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: trauma dislocation healing timeline  (Read 412 times)

Offline kmwey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
trauma dislocation healing timeline
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:21:33 AM »
3 weeks ago an 80 lb dog ran into me from the side and dislocated my right patella. It was out of place for approx three minutes and popped back in as I was trying to drag myself back to the house.

This is my second dislocation in this knee. Both contact/trauma. The first one was 11 years prior to this with no spontaneous subluxation. The first time I remember very little residual pain and swelling past the first couple days, but the patella was only out of place for a few seconds.

I had an MRI done 2 weeks ago that showed everything was fine except a strained MPFL. My ortho said no to surgery, but instead wants to do PT after I've healed.

I'm still dealing with a TON of swelling 3 weeks after the incident and can bend between about 100 and 170 degrees. Still dealing with pain and wearing and immobilizer which makes me feel more confident in walking but seems to aggravate the swelling.

My question is: Is it normal that I am still dealing with this much pain and swelling from an injury where there was essentially no real damage to any ligaments or any other structure?