Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL Hamstring Graft 'Giving Out' = Hospital  (Read 1895 times)

Offline omalley92

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL Hamstring Graft 'Giving Out' = Hospital
« on: December 22, 2014, 01:32:12 PM »
Hi there!

I have had ACL reconstruction on my left knee using a hamstring graft from the same leg. I originally ruptured the ACL on the trampoline but had a successful operation and haven't had an issue with it for two years.

However.

Friday night (19 - 12 - 2014) like usual I was playing football. After jumping in the air I must have landed awkwardly  as my knee gave out with a CRUNCH, Im not sure if that was supposed to be the 'pop' but I remeber it just being an almighty crunch, I felt my knee rock to the side and I collaped to the ground. The pain was severe but faded over the next 10-15 seconds to a dull ache. Had to be carried off and ambulanced to the hospital.

At the hospital one Doctor felt my knee and did the Femur and Tibia test by sitting on my foot and pulling the leg towards him. It didnt move like it did when I originally ruptured the ACL and he was convinced it was still there without issue.

Waited for an Xray and there was no bone damage which leg me to believe it must be the ACL. Another doctor came back after the results and said she thought that I have STRECHED the acl graft and maybe torn slightly.

I was discharged with a knee brace, crutches and meds and was told to see how the next few weeks go. So currently I am resting it. I can put weight on it and can walk without aid of the crutches (slowly). However at times I have an ache at the back and center of the knee.  I would like to go back soon and get an MRI done and further investigation as im supposed to be leaving for Canada for a year in the beginning of 2015.

If I need another operation I want to know ASAP. What do you guys think? Stretched? Torn? Something else? If its nust a stretch or tear, will it heal naturally. Will I be able to play sports again. I.E - Skiing, Football (Soccer), Tennis?

Thanks in advance!

Harrison.

support