Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MCL Partial tear and ACL bony avulsion 3mm minimal displacement, no surgery.  (Read 1513 times)

Offline agurchand

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I fell my bike and hurt my right knee (twisted my leg) 35 days back. My knee was unstable, doctor said that i would have torn my MCL and told me to wear a knee brace for a week, after a week he sent me for MRI and CT scan. He found Partial MCL tear and ACL bony avulsion (3mm) tibial fracture.

And he said, It's a minimal displacement and bones are broken into pieces, we cannot staple it, so you don't need surgery, it will heal in 4 weeks.

Now totally it is 5 weeks from the injury date. I'm able to walk without any crutches, but the problem is bending and straightening the knee. I'm able to bend around 80 - 90 degrees, and can able to straighten my leg but not fully as my other leg.

Also my knee is swollen and feeling stiffness while walking. I think because of the swelling, I'm not able to me to bend my leg.

Usually how long will it take the swelling to go?, Can I bend my knee as usual again and how long it may take to fully recover?

Offline Mellowscout

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
I had a minimally displaced patella fracture, immobilized 6 weeks NWB.  I am one week off immobilizer and 2 PT appointments and my ROM is only 40 degrees, so you are way ahead of me!!!  I am still walking with crutches even.

Suffice it to say, everyone heals differently.  My muscles were totally shot after 6 weeks, so I've got to get some strength back before my knee will keep bending.   My PT told me today that there is no set formula for how fast swelling goes away or how fast  I can achieve ROM, I've been curious too since my knee is also swollen and my progress is a little slow.

I would say you are recovering at a quick rate, which I'd awesome.  It can take between 6-8 weeks for fractures to heal.  I'm not sure about the tears.  Are you going you physical therapy...I have found that is helping.

Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery.
10/17 -fell, right patella minimally displaced fracture & dislocated
10/19-immobilizer on
12/02-OS appt/ out of immobilizer, PWB w/ crutches
12/03- 1stPT, ROM 26 degrees
12/10- ROM 40 degrees
12/19- ROM 66 degrees
12/23- ROM 76-80
12/30-ROM, 92
01/08-ROM 106
01/22-walking, ROM121
3/06- ROM131, walk

Offline agurchand

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Thanks for the reply.

Tomorrow I'm going to visit PT for the first time.

I am able to bend my knee better than the other day, and also able to climb the stairs. I started wearing a "Knee Cap with Rigid Hinge" brace which really helps me to walk and do some activities.

Actually saying, I'm going to the Office from last 3 days. Most of the time siting in the chair and trying to bend my leg as much as possible and also interacting with friends so i can forget worrying about the pain. Exercise is the main important for us, so please do as much as possible. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Get well soon.

Offline Mellowscout

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
I hope your physical therapy is going well!  I have my third appointment tomorrow.  I think I am slowly getting better but wow, i never knew it was hard to bend a knee!

I don't have a hinged brace, even though I was prescribed one.  But neither my OS nor my PT gave me one. My PT told me to buy one but I don't know where to start.  So far I'm just careful when I walk, still using the crutches.

I am also standing behind a chair and putting my weight on the injured leg and trying to lift the other leg.  I can only do it for a second.  Still trying to build up the strength in my injured leg.  I feel like I'm making progress, but it's just so darn slow.  Yesterday I finally felt my calf muscle starting to flex so I know that I am waking up the muscles.  The pain has definitely decreased...I'm glad you are finding things to do to take your mind off the pain.

And congrats on the stairs.  I've gone up one, lol. Take care! Let me know how PT is going.
10/17 -fell, right patella minimally displaced fracture & dislocated
10/19-immobilizer on
12/02-OS appt/ out of immobilizer, PWB w/ crutches
12/03- 1stPT, ROM 26 degrees
12/10- ROM 40 degrees
12/19- ROM 66 degrees
12/23- ROM 76-80
12/30-ROM, 92
01/08-ROM 106
01/22-walking, ROM121
3/06- ROM131, walk