Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Quad muscles not firing  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Williamwilkinson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Quad muscles not firing
« on: December 22, 2014, 01:35:16 AM »
About 2 weeks ago I had surgery to fix my knee that I dislocated and relocated. I had a left lateral release to move the knee cap back into place, removal of a loose body, and patellar tendon repair.

After surgery I realized that my quad muscle would not fire at all. I could not do a straight leg raise or even contract the muscle at all. I have started electrical stimulation at physical therapy which gets the muscle to fire.

My question is, is this normal? Will I ever be able to use my quad muscles again? How long will recovery take?

Additional information: 19 year old male. Nerve block given before surgery. No complications from surgery known.

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 43
Re: Quad muscles not firing
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 04:31:18 AM »
Hi. William,
Sorry your knee is giving you trouble.
As far as your quads are concerned, I can tell you that swelling and pain can cause your quads to shut down. You had a pretty significant surgery, so I would think it would take some time for swelling to go down. It sounds like your PT has the right idea to get your quads firing. Be sure you are trying to contract your quad while doing the stim. That is how you get them retrained. Also, do you have full extension? If not, that can be causing the inhibition as well.
I hope this helps. Feel better soon.
4/14/14 L ACL rupture, grade 2+ MCL tear
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.
11/20/14 insufflation, MUA
10/19/15: LOA/air, PLM, chondro, synovectomy, med/lat releases

support