Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain when bending knee after surgery  (Read 814 times)

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Pain when bending knee after surgery
« on: December 21, 2014, 08:13:06 PM »
Hi all.
I've had a Ttt, mpfl reconstruction, microfrature of the lateral trochlea & chondroplasty of the patella 13 weeks ago, I'm now weightbearing & bending to approx 95 degrees but when I attempt to bend passed this point I get a pulling sensation in quad region & I have to reduce bending amount so pain/sensation goes away. It just feels like leg will not bend passed this point like maybe it's being stopped by something?
Is this normal? What could be causing this?
Not back at physio until New Years eve so wondering if anyone can help
Many thanks Emma
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 09:35:34 AM by ema_b85 »
Fall whilst kickboxing aged 14yrs (2000)
subluxations >10 over 15 yrs
MRI scan: 12/13
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

Offline K9Sport

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Re: Pain when bending knee after surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 01:26:17 AM »
I have no idea if its a normal part of recovery or not, but I am 6 weeks post root ligament repair which required me to be in full extension and non-weight bearing for 5 weeks and now at 6 weeks I have the same pain you do...  I can range with active pressure from 5-70 and then I have significant pain and pulling on my quad where it attaches to the patella.  It's almost like there is a physical barrier preventing my knee from bending further.  What does your Physio say about it?  Mine thinks it's just tight from being immobile so long, but it also doesn't feel like it's getting better even though I go to physio 3x a week and do 2 sessions of physio exercises every day at home.
11/2014 - PHMM Root Ligament Repair (failed)
6/2015 - revision of PHMM Root ligament repair, LOA, Chondroplasty

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 12:37:18 PM »
Hi,
I've not spoken with physio re this issue as i have only just started noticing it. I can bend 0-95 when I was last measured at physio.
When Ive spoken about a simular issue mpfl region physio and surgeon both said its because it was tight as id had a new ligament put it.
Thinking maybe this issue is the same as Ive had a Ttt and my knee cap has been moved further down as it was sitting high before surgeon so it might just be a case of needing to stretch it back to the size it should be
Diagnosis 02/14: trochlea dysplasia, lateralisation of the patella, patella Alta, mpfl rupture, damage to back of knee cap ++
22/09/14 - Fulkerson osteotomy, MPFL Reconstruction, Microfracture, chondroplasty

Offline ema_b85

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »
Spoke with physio yesterday re concerns, he was not worried and said it was normal following such surgery and being immobile for long period of time. Advised to just keep going with it.
Had Rom measured yesterday and I've managed to increase from 95 to 115 so things are getting better, good luck with your recovery k9sport :)

Offline K9Sport

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 12:12:31 AM »
Thanks :)  I think I have finally turned the corner in my recovery!  I can range from 0-83 and the pulling on my quad has lessened quite a bit over the last few days.  I am also starting to weight bear which is awesome!  Physio is definitely helping me move in the right direction!

Laurie
11/2014 - PHMM Root Ligament Repair (failed)
6/2015 - revision of PHMM Root ligament repair, LOA, Chondroplasty

support