Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Post op pain around incision afer acl with hamstring graft-possible tendinosis  (Read 776 times)

Offline Caitlin_H

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi so I had my right acl reconstructed 4 1/2 months ago with a hamstring graft. 2 months post op I began rowing again with moderate intensity, around 3 months post op I began experiencing pain below and to the left of my knee, on and around the incision of the harvest site. The pain intensifies with rowing and although it has decreased marginally it is still present which is annoying considering the competition season is approaching. My physio suggested that it was tendinosis and I was wondering if anyone had anany opinions or similar experiences. :)

Offline cajfreem

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Although I've had numerous other complications, I did have pain in the same area.  I switched my PT and went to a place that uses a technique called ASTYM.  It helps to get rid of scar tissue and basically re-starts the healing process.  I had one PT tell me the pain was tendonosis from the way I walked, then this one said it was scar tissue.  He did ASTYM and I had significant improvement.  He showed me how to use Dycem (could use contact paper or even a piece of an exercise band) to mobilize the scar.  He said that even though the scar may look very good and healed well, the tissue deeper under the scar needs to be mobilized to keep it from stiffening up and causing pain. 

He also uses a plunger (about 4-5"- really, it's a sink plunger) to suction my hamstrings and on and around the hamstring graft incision site, down into the shin/calf area, and over the quad tendon and patella to stretch everything.  It hurts initially, then feels good and gives lots of relief!  Good luck to you.  I hope you find something that helps  :)