Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Preparing for meniscectomy this Friday  (Read 2264 times)

Offline happyB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Preparing for meniscectomy this Friday
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »
Done. I am appalled by the knowledge various doctors around here have.
Good to know this swelling/puffing is normal. Cheers.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 376
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Preparing for meniscectomy this Friday
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 11:42:12 AM »
You could try an ice pack on the ankle as well as the knee too.  Or an anti-inflammatory pill if you can tolerate them

All doctors and physios have different approaches - because they are different, doesn't mean any one is wrong, 10 medics, 10 opinions, some are more conservative, others more aggressive.  Physio is about getting you back to normal function asap so not surprised they said to ditch the twigs.  GPs have different views too, but I'd always go with a physio's view on knee matters than a GP (a good GP is one who knows to refer when necessary)!  If you are young and fit, they want you back to normal as soon as, which is as it should be.

From my own experience and others on here, using crutches for much time after a partial menisectomy is quite unusual.  I expect my surgeon recommended them for me as a way to give the knee a rest - as I didn't really do so after the injury!  After my second arthroscopy (basically a tidy up), crutches weren't even mentioned and I was back driving in under 10 days
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up