Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Deciding whether to go for Lateral Release  (Read 4100 times)

Offline tomchubb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Deciding whether to go for Lateral Release
« on: November 05, 2014, 10:00:05 AM »
I have read many posts on Lateral Release on this site and am concerned to learn that this procedure is very rare with younger surgeons and that there is a fairly high rate of problems after the procedure - yet there's no way back!

Can anyone advise whether this is still considered a good procedure these days?

I've had dislocated my patella at least 10 times over 15 years although the first 7 were fairly simple and no treatment other than rest was required.

After no. 8 (in 2010) I needed surgery and had an arthroscopy to cut away a small tear to my meniscus.
It still didn't feel right and I dislocated again 4 months after surgery.

Another arthroscopy was done but they didn't find anything wrong and it seemed to get 100% back to normal over the next year.

In March this year I did it again but this time felt like it was the worst. I had some partial tears to ligaments but nothing on the meniscus. I have full range of movement back but constant (but not too severe) pain on my tibia.

The OS says that my patella is tilting and pulled to the right (lateral) side making it more prone to happen again and recommends the LR.

I have asked for a 2nd opinion and this is currently being investigated but I'd like to get some more opinions, please.

Thanks