Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella fracture-Bending knee for X-rays?  (Read 551 times)

Offline Gaylene

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella fracture-Bending knee for X-rays?
« on: December 15, 2014, 04:51:08 AM »
Recently fractured patella, non-displaced, transverse (60 yr old woman) on Black Friday. Was not fighting for a TV at Walmart! Slipped on a pine cone! Have been in a removable immobilization brace for 2 weeks. Last week on my second visit to orthopedic clinic, X-ray technician took a second set of x Rays and asked me to bend knee 90 degrees to get X-ray. I was only able to go about 60 degrees before pain and fear set in. Everything is of course very stiff. Tomorrow going in for another set of xrays and I'm sure I'll be asked to bend again. Is this really good for the tissues that are forming new bone? The ligaments muscles and/or tendons attached to the patella will pull on it when bending do they not? I understand why everything is so stiff, only fear that by bending I  disrupting the soft tissue, collagen that is repairing and forming new bone. Anyone out there have any experience:knowledge? Thanks for any input.

Offline mjeffrey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 52
Re: Patella fracture-Bending knee for X-rays?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 07:55:48 PM »
Hi Gaylene

I've had quite a few xrays done over 8 months but only on one of them did they want to bend the knee more than 30 degrees and that was to get a view from the top to show the trochlear groove. This was after 8 months when I complained of pain.
Also seems very strange that they are doing so many x-rays.
At such an early stage and with a non-displaced fracture and no internal fixation, I would be cautious about allowing anyone to try to bend the leg without the explicit OK from the OS. Certainly it should not be more than you are permitted in PT.

best of luck,
Mark
2014:
20 Feb: Comminuted patella fracture, 4 K-wires, Cercalge, Figure of 8
11 Mar: Staples removed Flex 50
22 Apr: Control Xray, flex 80, progress stalled
09 May: MUA: flex 120, 3 weeks CPM
23 Jun: Slow Running, Flex 135
06 Jul: Flex 140
08 Aug: Hardware removed
10 Sep: full flexion

support