Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Thickened plica, cartilage damage @ medial apex of patella?  (Read 1087 times)

Offline djv99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Thickened plica, cartilage damage @ medial apex of patella?
« on: December 13, 2014, 09:53:17 PM »
Here is exactly what it says on my MRI results (sans the parts describing what's intact):

Patellar cartilage demonstrates full-thickness loss over medial of the apex.
Lateral subluxation.  Patella alta.  Thickened medial plica.  Joint effusion.
[...]
Impression:
1. Patella alta with thickened medial plica.  Lateral subluxation with degenerative
change of patellofemoral joint.

Maybe someone can explain to me in slightly plainer English what this means?

I guess I understand the scary implications of "full thickness loss of cartilage" on the median [aspect?] of the apex of the patella.  Is this as scary of a prognosis as it sounds like?  Did I really do that much damage with 2 months of limited activity with the ripped plica?

My knees were in great condition until two months ago, after I injured the right one on a fall, and now they are both acting up - the left appears to be annoyed that it picked up any extra weight, and is now cracking and aching a bit like the right.  My insurance has just up and died, I don't know if I should do PT at home, push for surgery (out of pocket I guess), or what.

I have the MRI open - I can attach other screenshots, but from my best approximation, this is the affected area (attached).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:50:41 PM by djv99 »

Offline djv99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Thickened plica, cartilage damage @ medial apex of patella?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 01:15:43 AM »
I hope someone can help me understand this...I'm panicking a little right now

Offline djv99

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Thickened plica, cartilage damage @ medial apex of patella?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 02:28:00 AM »
Is this white spot at the inferior 'apex' of the patella a spot of diseased cartilage?    If this is the point of friction, can I bring down the patella alta with PT?

support