Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL & MCL surgery required. Advice/experiences???  (Read 586 times)

Offline jaydotmartin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL & MCL surgery required. Advice/experiences???
« on: December 13, 2014, 02:12:37 PM »
Tore my ACL and MCL and now I need reconstructive surgery. The surgeon said for the ACL I need to have a hamstring tendon used to reform the ACL and a cadaver used for the MCL. Anybody ever had this injury or these methods? Any complications??

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 43
Re: ACL & MCL surgery required. Advice/experiences???
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 04:13:29 AM »
I did injure both of those ligaments as well. But, my initial surgeon chose to immobilize me first to allow my MCL to heal. I had a lot of complications because of that decision. What should have been done (if not an almost immediate repair), would have been to drain the knee as it was very swollen (the mcl bleeds a lot), and to allow PT to get my knee moving after about 10 days max, I was immobilized for 3 weeks. Another thing I would recommend is that you keep a close eye out for scar tissue formation, as this injury puts you at a higher risk for that. So, be sure to keep your patella and knee moving", be sure to have adequate pain control, and keep heat, swelling, and redness down to a minimum. If swelling is significant, get that thing drained.
I hope this helps and that you heal quickly!
4/14/14 L ACL rupture, grade 2+ MCL tear
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.
11/20/14 insufflation, MUA
10/19/15: LOA/air, PLM, chondro, synovectomy, med/lat releases

support